Is there a good Arcade Website? Forum? I am now doing Coin operated Arcades

bandersnatch27

I have an arcade game at home that has problems, I want to make a project out of it & get it to work.

So if some one can guide me in the right direction, thanks!

I need a good arcade site, smiliar to this? one that can teach me how to mess with them or a good forum thanks!

I too would like this info.I have a rental building across from the pizzeria we own that is caddy corner from a school and I would like to put a small arcade in it.problem is an arcade alone won`t make it and I need something else to go with it.I was thinking a hamburger joint but that will take lots of money for upgrades to bring it up to code.any ideas?

Why don't you start by putting a couple of arcades in your pizzeria?

oh trust me,I dont have an inch left for any kind of coin operated device in  the pizza shop.I have a big buck hunter,9 way rack an oscar wild ride and a 8 select eliminator.I want to combine AN arcade with something else but not sure what yet.

I used to own a few arcade games myself a couple of years ago strictly for hobby. In the process I came across several websites that were a good help to me. I can tell you I was unable to find a dedicated forum for arcade operators but found quite a few on the hobby side that can give you a good idea of the basics of operating and more importantly maintaining and refurbishing arcade games. Please note this can be expensive when you start out. Ill start with the most relevant.

http://randyfromm.com/

This was the end all be all on arcade game repair back in 2003, I can tell you 2 things from looking at his website now. He's downsized some as he was hinting at retiring back in 03. And his products will teach you how to repair 99% of games out there today as there have been no real break throughs technologically in the coin-op arcade biz for Id say a decade, as home consoles and PC's are now where 90% of gaming is done. A lot of people bought his course to become arcade repairmen. I bought his full course when it was $600, and can tell you be prepared to sit down, do a lot of reading and take good notes!  ;D

http://www.jammaboards.com/jcenter.html

This website has a great FAQ on what Jamma is and what it applies too. It will also give you insight to JAMMA basics and how it will apply to your specific game. The good majority of games after 1985 were built on the JAMMA system which makes it very easy to swap out PCB's (games)

http://www.arcaderestoration.com/

Still a great site with a plethora of information concerning how to restore cabinets from start to finish (Wiring, paint, bezels, control panel overlays etc etc) and gives you an idea of the tools you will need to fully restore/repair a cabinet. Pay particular attention to the restorations section.

I remember a post I read on here not too long ago pointing to www.happcontrols.com as a good parts website for vending machines. They are also very good for the arcade side. Good luck!

Why don't you start by putting a couple of arcades in your pizzeria?

oh trust me,I dont have an inch left for any kind of coin operated device in  the pizza shop.I have a big buck hunter,9 way rack an oscar wild ride and a 8 select eliminator.I want to combine AN arcade with something else but not sure what yet.

I have always given this a lot of thought. I still want to own an arcade someday, even though I see them go out of business a lot. We just lost Rocky's Replay. I really think it's time is past, its mostly nostalgia. The key then is to focus on the other side of business first, and just have enough arcades to make it fun. If your doing pizza. What about wings, chinese delivery, sushi... basically what does the area need?

Orlando players be forewarned if any of you do this without me being a partner I will personally stab you ;)

The other idea I've had is to open a nightclub where the walls are lined with video games, maybe set to free play but keep an open dance area in the middle. I just got back from a club taken over by www.playdateorlando.com basically they just plunk down a bunch of bad board games on all the lounge tables, and somehow it draws 100+ people. So during the day I would run it as an arcade, until a certain time which would then be 21+.

unfortunately that is the reality,an arcade alone wont make it.the school is an advantage to have so close,but no liquer license becAUSE OF it too.my wife wants a gelateria(ice cream shop)

hamburger shop with wings and ice cream and arcade,problem solved!

unfortunately that is the reality,an arcade alone wont make it.the school is an advantage to have so close,but no liquer license becAUSE OF it too.my wife wants a gelateria(ice cream shop)

I think I would rather have  a place that serves alcohol then one that serves kids. This doesn't bar you from beer and wine in a restaurant does it? Is there a college within 5 miles or so?

I think I would rather have  a place that serves alcohol then one that serves kids. This doesn't bar you from beer and wine in a restaurant does it? Is there a college within 5 miles or so?

the pizza shop we own has been serving food for 39 years and we have never been able to sell alcahol because of the school thats caddy corner from us.with the school you have to take the good(all the business when they have games and after school kids walking by,and the bad,not being able to sell alcohol.

it will help not haveing to split money with anyone and lowering the price of games from 1 buck to 75 cents.

With those stupid 0 alcohol laws I would find a different location. I've watched a prime restaurant location go out of business every year for 7 years. Poor unsuspecting people sign a lease agreement, but with a nearby church they get denied on serving beer. A few months later the building is for lease yet again.

If there is no nearby college then an ice cream shop is a real gamble. And any other restaurant with 0 alcohol is too. If your set on that location for some reason, I would definitely make it delivery Chinese or Wings. But with a pizza shop it would be easy for you to add wings to your operation, so just do that there and open a chinese delivery/take out. It would be a unique "arcade", and people can spend money while they wait for their take out. I would only put a couple of tables, and no waiters. But what do I know, I was raised in an entrepreneur family but they never owned a chinese take out ;). Arcade (burgers n fries), used car lot, pawn shops, and real estate. But not chinese takeout. 

the reason I am set on the location is that I own the building,and I work across the street in said pizza shop.

I am thinking a seasonal shop that my wife can run.

there is a park a few more blocks away,where they play most of  the tournaments and most of the ball games in town(pop 5600) and everyone goes to DQ for a cone afterwords.they line up around the block to wait.my location is closer to the park.

obviously just arcade and ice cream wont make it so thats why I say hamburgers and french fries too.

there is opurtunity there but whatever we end up doing it`ll be a couple of years.