First machine expanding advice.

Hello!

I'm a high schooler who landed an account at my small HS. I made the mistake of buying a new drink machine (6k) and not considering used machines. However, my location is doing about $1400 a month gross with around $800-900 net. I buy my stock from Sam's club. I have a good relationship with the principal, and he approved a snack machine. I've read on this forum that snack machines are not as profitable as drinks, many more snack machines are required to break even. I have 2 possible prospects (dance studios) outside the school. Is it advisable to expand into snack machines or stick with drinks?

Thanks

The reason you’ll want more machines is you’ll be buying products in cases and some of this stuff lasts a month or 2.  Don’t know the layout of the school but you might could get 2 snack machines in there.  

It's a small school with ~200 students. Knowing the storage space of snack machines (10-15), I'm pretty confident items would sell out before the end of the day. Perhaps 2 snack machines would solve the lost revenue issue.

On 3/5/2024 at 2:22 PM, DCSGVending said:

Hello!

I'm a high schooler who landed an account at my small HS. I made the mistake of buying a new drink machine (6k) and not considering used machines. However, my location is doing about $1400 a month gross with around $800-900 net. I buy my stock from Sam's club. I have a good relationship with the principal, and he approved a snack machine. I've read on this forum that snack machines are not as profitable as drinks, many more snack machines are required to break even. I have 2 possible prospects (dance studios) outside the school. Is it advisable to expand into snack machines or stick with drinks?

Thanks

Its cool to see other young people in the vending business, I'm also in high school and I started my vending business about 7 months ago. At my old school (around 300 kids), the snack machines would be serviced weekly or bi-weekly (I would see the local company come in and fill them) and they got just as much use if not more than the drink machines. like Gizmo Vending said, its all about whether you can turn over product before it expires (this is much different from drinks, as snacks have shorter shelf-life) so the more machines selling, the better.  I'm no expert by any means so take my advice with a grain of salt, but In my opinion you should definitely invest in a snack machine for the school, especially if you have more than one account/multiple machines so that you can spread your product out and limit the risk of expired snacks. Hope this helps!