What is the full cost of going legit? (FL)

Scott,

From my understanding the LLC protects the "members" personal assets.  For example If something happen in my LLC, the lawsuit seperates me from the company.  The company does not own my house or my car.  My personal assets can not be taken away to award a judgement. 

There is no specific case. I guess what I'm trying to say is there will always be a lawyer that will attempt to prove gross negligence to add one more party to the suit.

Scott

I was once told by an accountant that specialized in small business setups, that if you personally service the machine, then you personally can be sued - regardless of the business entity setup.  Now if you had an employee doing the work, then that would be different and the business entity would most likely protect you.  Maybe she was right or not.  And I certainly do not know for sure.  All I know is that he more I probe in this, the more variations in answers I get from different people!

Jax

That's great but what did your lawyer say about your taxes?

Scott, what you say is probably true, but you are talking an extreme case. We've all heard about the $1M hot coffee lawsuit from McD's. Nothing can be done about that.

However, for your best asset/liability protection, the LLC is the way to go.

State fee to incorporate in Mass is $520.00. I tried to incorporate in DE but was faced with the foreign entity fee and registered agent fee. Together they totaled well over $520.00.

Wow, and I thought $170 (MN) was bad..

• 2 weeks later...