New vendor - wet behind the ears

reinhagw

Hi, my name is Jerry and I just started a vending service in Las Vegas this month. I have 36 Vendstars out there, most locations not getting the business I had expected, or was told to expect by the bizzop and locator.  I'm here, obviously, because I need help and am going thru the forums to better understand the business and make things work out.

There's some wonderful stuff here.  Thank you.

Welcome to the forum Jerry. You did the right thing by coming to Vendiscuss.com for answers. There is a huge amount of information available here and if you ask a question, it will be answered by a variety of members that have experienced the same issues.

Again, welcome.

Gary

Glad to see you here. Yep, the Biz-op folks always make the deal sound sweet. About $7.00 per head is the national average. Out of curiousity, what were you told to expect to make? I would expect to gross between $400-$500/mo with 36 machines. It sounds like you went through Vendstar. If you read in the forum, you will see that you got raped on the machines and locating, but all isn't lost. You at least have machines on location making money. Now you can start re-investing your income in new, less expensive machines such as Oak, Northwstern, or Beaver. All are bargains compared to a new Vendstar. Or you can do as many of us and buy used machines. If you don't feel comfortable doing you own locating, there are some reputable locators as well who are less expensive than the Vendstar locators. There is also lots of good advice here on self-locating, which is the cheaper route to go. It's something everyone should do, at least some of the time. Good luck and I hope to see you posting in the forums

Joe

I did go through Vendstar, and certainly feel like I took it in the shorts, and not received any kiss for the contribution I provided them.  I do see some value in this experience and want to move into the next stage - understanding the business and making the right moves going forward.

Vendstar's line stated I could expect a buck fifty a day per machine, which would come in around $1600 per month.  I'm a little short of that, and short of your $400-$500 estimate too.  But, it's early in the game!  I'm certain I have some bad locations, and some have shown some promise and need to be worked. 

Joe, thanks for the reply, and I'll be around here quite a bit, when I'm not beating the bushes.

jr

Jr,

It is great that you are keeping a good attitude. I deal in spiral gumball machines only. My first 2 I paid $1800.00 each for and another $300 each for locating. That was from a bizzop place. The locations totally sucked, but I was determined to do good. After the first month of grossing nearly $10.00 whole dollars from each machine, I decided to move them myself. That worked well. I ended up finding the manufacture of the machines and purchased directly from them.

Bulk vending can be a great thing. As I stated, I do nothing but spirals (searching though for antique gas pumps), I have a $48 per month average on my machines (net). I have found a local person to do locating for me, I pay her $100 per location, and so far they have all worked out great that she has placed. One of her locations should be bringing in around $200 per month or more. I have since resigned from my position and will be doing this full time. The best of luck to you!

You are absolutely right, it is early in the game and you have a great attitude. A lot of folks would say they took it in the shorts from Vendstar. Most give up, and others decide they are going to make a success out of it. You already stuck your hand in the cookie jar, and pulled out a few crumbs. Now, you just need to start pulling out some cookies. I'm sure some of the locations can be turned around by simply changing products, others may have to be re-located. It only takes a few good locations to turn things around.

Good Luck Jerry.  I am new to the biz also.  Looking forward to working hard and building a nice business.  Oh and Vegas is AWESOME!!  Love it there.

yes Vegas is awesome!now would be a good time to buy a wintrer home there

hang in there Jerry!