Permits to Place Machines

T BIRD

Deb and I are in the middle of checking out towns around us here in Long Beach in terms of if there is a permit needed to place machines.  Here in Long Beach, it will cost us $50 each year and $5.00 per machine placed inside Long Beach.  There is a tag you receive for the maching for each 5 bucks.  What a racket Long Beach has going.  I am sure other cities and towns have a racket goin' also.

Hi,

Which Governement agency should I check with to find out about permits? i am in Los Angeles.

Thanks!

Michel

There are a couple of links regarding CA vending here==>

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/forum17/217.html

This is not all inclusive but its a start. If you do find any info or resources please add to the list.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for welcome message! I have been reading thru the forum and you do a great job! Everybody puts out great information and good job at being the MC! :-) I wished I discovered this forum sooner...

I have a question....If I want to post a new message, i don't see a "Post" link, just a "New topic", is that the right place to make a new post? and how do you chose which topic it is going to go into?

Thank you,

Michel

• 2 months later...

Here is more info for you clearcut!

Steve

Chapter 6.80 VENDING MACHINES

6.80.010 License required.

No coin-operated machine for the vending of cigars, coffee, soda water, milk, milk products, food or food products shall be placed within the city of Wauwatosa unless the owner and/or local operator thereof shall have first obtained a license to operate such machine or machines within the city. (Ord. O-82-29 § 1, 1982; prior code § 6.037(1))

6.80.020 License--Application.

Application for such license shall be made to the city clerk in writing and shall include the full name and names of the person, firm or corporation making application, business address of such applicant, nature of vending machines to be licensed, number of vending machines to be licensed, locations at which vending machines will be placed and, if a corporation, the full names and addresses of its officers and manager or managers. (Prior code § 6.037(2))

6.80.030 License--Issuance.

Such license shall be issued by the city clerk upon payment of the fees provided in this chapter and after the health commissioner of the city of Wauwatosa has certified that the vending machines sought to be licensed meet the requirements or all applicable ordinances, statutes and regulations thereunder and, further provided, that the applicant shall not have due and owing any personal property taxes to the city of Wauwatosa. (Prior code § 6.037(3))

6.80.040 License--To whom issued.

Such license shall be issued only to a person of good moral character who shall be a citizen of the United States and the state of Wisconsin. In the case of a corporation, such requirements shall apply to the officers or manager or managers. (Prior code § 6.037(4))

6.80.050 License--Tags and decals.

With each license issued, tags or decals for individual vending machines, containing thereon the name of the licensee and the number of the license, shall be issued. Such tag or decal shall be affixed upon each machine in a conspicuous and accessible place, visible without moving or opening such machine, and shall remain so affixed to such machine during the period for which the license is in force. (Prior code § 6.037(5))

6.80.060 Noncompliance--Notice--License revocation.

At any such time as the health commissioner of the city of Wauwatosa finds that any vending machines do not comply with the ordinances of the city of Wauwatosa or statutes of the state of Wisconsin, or regulations thereunder, it shall be his duty to serve an order upon the licensee, his agent or employee having charge or the machines, directing him within a certain reasonable mine, not to exceed ten days, to comply with said ordinances, statutes or regulations. If the licensee fails to comply with the order within the time designated, the commissioner shall serve the licensee, his agent or employee in charge of the licensed machines, with a notice in writing that at a time not less than forty-eight hours from the date of service of the notice a hearing will be held before the committee on licenses, Wauwatosa common council, at a place designated in the notice, to determine whether the license shall be revoked. If, upon the hearing, it appears that the provisions of this chapter or of the ordinances or regulations of the city of Wauwatosa or of the laws of the state of Wisconsin have not been complied with, the committee on licenses is authorized to either revoke the license issued for the machine, or suspend such license for such period of time as it shall take to remedy such noncompliance. Any licensee having a license revoked shall not be eligible for another license under this section for a period of one year from the date of revocation. (Prior code § 6.037(6))

6.80.070 License--Fee.

There shall be a basic annual license fee for each authorized machine as shown in the fee schedule. New installations made during a license year shall require the full fees herein provided. The renewal fee for such renewal shall be submitted to the city of Wauwatosa by not later than July 1st of any year. (Ord. O-94-55 § 20, 1994; Ord. O-77-55 § 1, 1977; Ord. O-76-108 § 1, 1976: prior code § 6.037(7))

6.80.090 Late filing fee for license application.

Any application for renewal of a license under this chapter after the termination date shall be subject to a late filing fee of ten percent of the fee, but not less than five dollars, per late license application. (Ord. O-77-54 § 1 (part), 1977)

6.80.100 Licensing of food and beverage machines.

Chapter HSS 198 of the Wisconsin Administration Code pertaining to vending machines for the sale of food and beverages is adopted by reference as though fully set forth herein. The fee to be charged under this chapter is that provided in the State Statutes. (Ord. O-85-37 § 1, 1985)

• 3 weeks later...

Never thought about permits for the machine, I thought it was truly up to the store owner whether or not he wants the machine.  I wonder if there are any permits needed it south florida.  Im glad my machines are in with relatives and friends, because if im not mistaken i shouldnt need to permit them or anything. 

I just found out that The Department of Health in Nassau County where I live on Long Island requires a permit thats good for 2 years. ( $110.00 ).  And then for each stand I have, I need a sticker placed on it for another $5 apiece!  :shock:

Never thought about permits for the machine, I thought it was truly up to the store owner whether or not he wants the machine.  I wonder if there are any permits needed it south florida.  Im glad my machines are in with relatives and friends, because if im not mistaken i shouldnt need to permit them or anything. 

scobrien,

Please don't confuse a state issued "permit" with "owner permission" Permission is obviously something you get from the location owner. A permit needs to be issued by your state. Having your machines permitted by the state has nothing to do with the location owner. If you are conducting business and collecting money from consumers you need to have your equipment permitted. Now, the chances are minimal that you will ever have a problem but if someone from the appropriate state agency happens to see your un-permitted machine, the penalties could range from a simple warning to full confiscation and fine.

If all of your machines are placed in your family's establishments, I'm sure they can just assume ownership if this happens and your machines will be covered under their existing business licensing/permitting structure. I would not count on any location owner to do that for you unless they are a relative.

All states business permitting rules are different and you may not even need to acquire one in FL. For my state, Mass, it only costs $3 per machine, per year.  If you do need one, I would suggest looking into it so you are legal. Give your business the credibility it deserves.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know about the regulations in Canada?

I guess I'll start with the city government website.

Kulza,

We currently have 7 Canadian operators on the board. I'm sure they will be able to provide you with good info. Here is a link to our Canadian directory. ==> http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_user.php?country=Canada

Good Luck!

Steve

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am trying to find out how to make things legal here in PA. I have talked with owners of machines I looked to buy and it seems their policy is ignorance is bliss.

Any help from other Keystoners would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

The best thing to do is to call each township that you want to place vending machines in and ask the business tax department or tax collector if they have an "amusement tax."

Many tax collectors know immediately what you mean. If they don't, let them know that you want to place a vending machine in a business in their township. Frequently you will have to clarify what type of equipment you are placing. 25 cent mechs are frequently excluded from their taxing structure.

[Disclaimer: I am not an expert on the subject of business taxes by any means.. this is just what I have found to work well in my experience]

Regards,

Brian