AP LCM5 ???

Ive got a AP LCM5 that I got a call about today for the drinks not being cold. Well the machine had been pushed up aginst the wall and the front screen was clogged slam up. I got those problems straight and the compressor kicked on. All fans are working and the high pressure line in back is getting good and hot. The compressor ran for just a couple of minutes and then kicks off, but the machine had not gotten cold enough. Well I started trouble shooting and came across this "timmer" looking thing that is tied into the thermostat. I played with it until I got voltage out and the compressor kicked back on. Now for my question. What the heck is the "timmer" looking thing? A defrost timmer I would guess. What is it called? How is it supposed to be set? Can I bypass it and run straight of the thermostat?

All of your help will be greatly appreciated.

I am not real familiar with the LCM5 but will add my 2 cents.

The machine does have a defrost timer in it but why it would be required is beyond me. We are only pulling the temps down just below freezing and then going into a defrost cycle when the compressor shuts off when a machine shuts off. It would seem to me that this is a redundant feature or a fix for a bad overall design. We do not use defrost timers in and stack vendor or any other combo machines that I can think of. That being said, if you overheated your machine by letting it get clogged and you have it working now I would leave it be and see what happens. If the timer is stuck it won't advance to the defrost cycle again. If it is moving, then it will cycle fine. Your issue may have been two fold meaning that the compressor could not cool properly and when it went into the defrost cycle just started to overheat everything. Your timing could have just put you there during a defrost cycle and the timer was still advancing.

A defrost timer though, curious.........

Well I stopped by to check on it today, and the compressor was off. I opened it up and felt a drink and it was cool but not cold like it should be. I played with the "button" on front of the timer and the compressor came on and started pumping hot in the back of the machine. Didn't have enough time to stay and see just how long it will run before the timer shuts it down. I think I'm going to bypass the timer and see how it works. I'm thinking like you though, that the timer is to make up for a bad design. I guess Ill find out just how bad it is.