insurance question

Has a location asked you to carry "business automobile liability insurance" on top of Workers Comp, employers liability, and commercial general liability?

The seller said that she's been quoted 600 a yr from 1 broker shes talked to.

Thx!

I've never been asked that but I do carry it for the simple fact that if you are in an accident and the insurance company finds out you were using your "personal" vehicle for business it might give them grounds to refuse to pay a claim.

So my agent is either squeezing me for some additional premium or he gave me good advice. Fortunately I've never had the need to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2nd vehicle dedicated to the business.  And, yes it is classified as a business vehicle for insurance purposes.  And, yes the premiums are at least 50% more than personal coverage.  My agent told me that if the vehicle was classified as personal and there was an accident and an inspector for the insurance company discovered this was a business vehicle, then the claim would be denied.  That's insurance fraud in their minds.  Not a risk worth taking IMO to save a few bucks, plus the premium is spread out over 12 monthly installments - so it is not as painful.

Not sure about other states,  but in Indiana you have to have your insurance company fill out a "yellow paper" for proof of insurance if you have an accident or you get a citation.  If  the insurance company finds out you are using the vehicle for business purposes, they have the legal right to state, that you don't have insurance with them, even though you pay a personal use premium...  And also, in Indiana, If you drive without insurance, It is a mandatory 90day full license suspension!  and then after the 90 days, you have to show proof you have paid the proper insurance for a full 12 months in advanced, and THEN, you can pay a $450 license reinstatement fee.