Upgrade AP 6600 snack machine from VFM bill validator to... ?

davekro

Hello,

(sorry in advance for the mini novel below ;o)

Brand new member here.  Hoping I can get some info on the most economical upgrade for converting an Automatic Products 6600 snack bill validator. It has a TRC 6000 mech.

The machine's VFM-L1-U4CS was serviced by a local shop less than a year ago and it has been getting bills stuck (≈ 2/3 way into stacker) after  < 10 vends.  (parts for this unavailable for VFMs for 10+ yrs) Rather than spend 'another' $100 to refurb. it, I have been told by MEI Mars and the local AP distributor (Betson) that I can replace it with a VN2501 and I would need a power adapter harness (MEI #01-12-078-4). 

1)  Crap, I just spoke to a 2nd service guy at the local AP distributor (Betson).  He said VFM1 is a low voltage level interface (5volt logic pulse, even though the VFM unit itself is 110v).  He said the VN2500 series is high level interface and cannot be used.  I am getting conflicting info.  :o/

2)  When bills ARE accepted, sometimes just after the $ bill credit shows in the display, the display goes blank. No credit is acknowledged and customer's $ is lost. In this instance, the bill is fully accepted into the stacker, just that the credit goes away. The Betson service guy said this could be an inconsistent connection in the communication harness  (w/18 pin black conn.).

3)  (this part is be academic if #1 above IS true.)

I am a bit confused on which bezel a VN2501 is supposed to have.  The '0' in 2501 is supposed to mean 'compact bezel'. I 'think' this is the one that has the ≈2"h x 3"w nose sticking through the machine's surface.  MEI told me that the VN2501 is a direct replacement for a VFM, period.  Even though MY VFM has a different bezel! The nose of mine is in the middle of the bezel, is ≈1"h and only protrudes 3/4" from the face of the bezel.  This AP 6600 can only accept this size bezel.  The cut out in the AP sheet metal is 1" x 3", not larger with 'adapter plates' for different bezel configs. like many Coke machines.

For VN 2501s On ebay and other places, I have seen mostly the low/large (compact?) nose, but also the smaller 2"h nose in the middle (like I need).  Here are ebay links showing both bezel styles:

Large/low nose (compact?).......    http://cgi.ebay.com/mars-mei-vn2501-u5-115-vc-flash-port-vn-2511-/120595042573?pt=BI_Vending#ht_500wt_1154

Small 2"h in middle (The kind of bezel that I need).....    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330453037613&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

To add more confusion, Betson's parts guy told me that the 2501 is discontinued, that I need a 2601!  argh...

The location this machine is in has VERY minimal snack sales volume, so spending $100's is money down the hole (it is a decent OCS account though).

The VN2501 will work fine in that machine. I have updated all my 6600 with that validator. Your harness that you are using for the VFM1 will plug in the side of the 2501. You do need the power harness for the validator. On your VFM1 it is hard wired into it. The power plug plugs in on the side right next to where you'll plug the flat part that's plugged into the black box that's on the side of your VFM1. Once you have the VN2501 in your hand you will see what I mean. On the links you have posted on ebay, one of those validators is a 2511 I believe, the 2501 has the bezel in the middle, the 2511 has the bezel on the bottom. I would not pay more than $100.00 for one. If your not planning on taking 5 dollar bills then I would get the Generation 1 without the flash port. Check Vendors Exchange, they sometimes have some of the Gen 1's. Side note: the dipswitches on the side I set mine all to off, that puts it on factory default and that is the best way they work in that machine.

-Alan

Alan hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer. Just follow his instructions and you should be fine. Your problems with the VFM stem from the way the bills are made and to repair it is throwing money away.

Alan,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I have heard both yes and no on needing an harness. The confusion must be in buying a 'new' 2501 (which comes with harness) or used/ refurbished (just the validator).  

The ONLY 2501 I have found with a VFM style bezel used on line is this one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330453037613&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

I just spoke with Vendors Exchange.  They sell a

Refurb. 2511 Gen 1 for $130

VFM (2501) style bezel for $13

Power harness for $9.30

(they say I need the harness with a refurb. unit, new units come with one)

This VE package for ≈ $152 sounds good except that all they have now (refurb.) are ones with a $300 bill stacker.  I was told by VE and AP that is is a 'PAIN' to get the $300 stacker off to pull bills.  AP said I need a $500 stacker which has a 'side door' like my old VFM.  VE does have a 'new' $500bill stacker for $49.   That makes this conversion ≈ $200.   I believe a brand new VN2501 runs about $375??

I believe this is the correct harness I'd need (with a used or refurb 2501).

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARS-MEI-DBA-Bill-Acceptor-Harness-/110563832818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_3182wt_1139

Actually, since now I know I can buy a 2511 and get a bezel for $13 to make it a 2501, that opens up options for finding a used one.  I DO like the idea of buying from VE w, refurb warrantee though.

If this machine was not so poor with sales, it would be an easy decision.  Basically, I'm spending to eliminate a frustration for the account, not because I am losing much in sales...

I just checked with Vendor's Exchange on the price for a brand new VN2501-U5E.  They want $300.  After all this hemming and hawing trying to get a refurb unit for $150 - $200, new with a 2 year warr, does not sound as bad.  An extra $100-$150 to make sure this item creates no complaints for a loooong time.  That has some value.  ;o)

Alan,

Did you use $300 or $500 MArs stackers in your AP 6000 conversions from VFM-1's?  I was told (by MEI if I recall) that the VFM-L1-U4CS is physically the same size as the -U5E $500 bill stacker.  Both with the side door access.

How much of a pain is it to remove the -U3E stacker from an AP 6000?  I only pull the bills every two weeks, so I would not mind a small pain.  Not removing the validator, mind you.  ;o)  I wonder if a $300 bill stacker could be filed a bit someplace non critical to it's operation, to make it easier to remove to pull bills.

Thanks