Compressor for Beverage-Air merchandiser

davekro

I've got an older Beverage-Air double sliding door beverage merchandiser with a bad compressor. I am getting all kinds of differing info as to what compressor to use for a replacement.  I am not very familiar with refrigeration.  Any ideas are appreciated.

From old compressor's label:

Tecumseh

Bill of Material  AK 169 AT-32-B4

Model              AK 4476Y

The above info tells me this is a 1/3 HP, high temp, high torque, 7,680 BTU, R-134a, 115v compressor.

The Vendor's Exchange parts guy I spoke with was not very familiar with refrig.  He said he had no crossover chart to convert to their stocked Embraco brand.  The best he could do was give me a number for a soda machine (Dixie N.?) that was 1/3 HP w/134a. (VE825CX, Embraco # FFI12HBX)

Is there a Tecumseh to Embraco conversion chart?  The Embraco site was useless.

Any other ideas?

Any refer house should be able to cross this for you. Usually with Tecumseh the new number would probably be AXA4476YXA, but I am not making any guarantees. If you don't want a service valve port on it make it a J9 (AKA4476YXAJ9).

If you get it with the port, make sure you get the flare nut that is needed. It is not the same as plumbing flare nut, the angle is different.

The Refrig. wholesaler would not even talk to me because I'm not a licensed contractor.  I have a friend who works in the commercial refrig. industry (Therma). He called his supplier.  They gave me the same new Tecumseh P/N that you did:

AKA 4476Y XA  (Said it was a 1/2 HP)

His supplier had it for $410.  The supplier is researching if he can cross this # over to an Embraco P/N.  Vendor's Exchange carries Embraco.  The refrig. supplier said NO WAY anyone could sell a new 134-a compressor for $140 (like a Vendor's Exchange guy quoted me for a 1/3HP 134-a compressor). 

Anyone  ever bought compressors from Vendor's Exchange who can report on price and quality? 

I think I bought this used (1995) cooler ≈ 5 years ago for $600.  They are few and far between, but maybe I'll see if I can find a local used cooler.

Embraco is a lower end compressor. We tried them for a while but went back to the Tecumseh as we felt that had more life to them. We always make sure we get them with the capacitor start as an added precaution to help start in those less then ideal locations.

VE can sell the Embraco so cheap as they buy in quantity and are selling them at wholesale prices.

That being said you cannot use the 1/3 hp in place of the 1/2 hp pump successfully.