Machines For Sale NO KEYS // Cavaet Emptor?

I have run across a few deals in which a seller of a snack/soda machine does not have the key to open it.  Of course, the price is usually very good on the machine, which is a telltale sign that the machine may have been obtained late at night without the owner's knowledge..  :(       

How do you full-time vendors report a stolen machine, in the hopes of recovering it? 

If I get the serial number from the machine and cross check it with the authorities in the surrounding counties, then I feel I will have done my due diligence to ensure the machines were not stolen from any of the local vendors in my area.  Is there somewhere elso I might check to ensure the machines are clean?

How do you full-time vendors report a stolen machine, in the hopes of recovering it?   

If I get the serial number from the machine and cross check it with the authorities in the surrounding counties, then I feel I will have done my due diligence to ensure the machines were not stolen from any of the local vendors in my area.   Is there somewhere elso I might check to ensure the machines are clean?

I've never had a machine stolen, that's a pretty rare occurrence.

If you check with local authorities for reported stolen equipment you will be fine, the machines don't have titles like vehicles. Just get a bill of sale from him showing that YOU bought it from him. IF, on the one in a million chance it is stolen and IF someone comes looking for it at least you can prove where you got it, paid for it and are not the thief.

My guess is the guy lost a location, put the machine into storage and due to not having all machines keyed the same simply misplaced the key. Not a big deal, happens pretty frequently. He doesn't want the hassle of having to drill the lock, making a few repairs and then selling it.