Bad advice on asset protection

leo7068

I read somewhere that double-sided carpet tape around the top of the pole was a good ant barrier. I bought some, and it most definately is extrememly sticky out of the box. I was hesitant to place it on the wooden pole of my machines because the packaging explains it is permanent, but not forseeing a reason to remove a crawling bug stopper I placed it on the first 9 machines I have located. I went back to clean the machines, and noticed that the tape has no stick left in it.

I don't know if it is the lack of humidity, sun, or natural drying, but all 9 strips of double-sided carpet tape are no longer sticky.

I did a test and left some double-sided carpet tape in my house for a week, and it still seemed very sticky. I then placed it outside and it lost it's stick in a day.

Any suggestions on a replacement preventative measure for ants?

I don't want vaseline, because we have hot summers in Southern California, and I hear tanglefoot is a mess...

Leo,

I am wondering if placing the tape on a wooden substrate is causing the loss of adhesion. I know that wood has a tendency to have rather unusual effects on tape.

Other than that, I would try non permanent tape or maybe even a clear double sided packaging tape. I use a 2 or 3" wide packaging tape and have not had any problems. However, all my stands are metal.

I'm sure with a little experimentation you will find the right material.

In any case, It has been my experience that changing the tape every 30 to 60 days is a good thing so I would not continue to use anything labeled as permanent.

Steve

I am looking for something just like the packaging tape, but I would prefer not replacing more often than once a year.

you want to add up a years worth of ant corpses before changeing the tape??

imo the ants will eventually cross the tape once the corpse acumulate they will be able to crawl over the dead ones and get across.not proven mind you but the theory of a drunk person.

I have heard bay leave work too.I haven`t  had that problom here.