Should I?

quartermaine

I have a store here in town that used to be a rather large grocery store. The new tennant is a close out retailer. There is a large lobby with an area that looks as if it were designed for a rack set up. I'm wondering if they would even notice if I just set one up in there? I have heard from other vendors who use this tactic. Sort of like the old saying, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

Any thoughts?

are you serious?

Well I was but judging be your response im not sure anymore.

Yep, I have done it. It is a dangerous task. I would suggest you do that with a double head, not a rack. It should take you less than a minute when you do that. In & Out. with a rack it takes to long!

My thoughts were that if it were a rack it would be harder for them to throw it in the dumpster. Maybe they would just give me a call instead and say "what the heck?"

i agree with kyle even tho i think he doesnt want to be my friend. i would place a single or double in there but not a rack. that is just too much money to lose if they do throw it in the trash. make sure the contact number is on there.

back to the location. why wouldnt you just talk to the owner and get it in there legit.  hey mr joe store owner how about i give you some free money with that space in the lobby that you are not using.

Yeah, thats what I'm gonna do. Just wanted to ask about anybody placing machines with no authorization

While it may seem tempting to employ this "gorilla locating" tactic, I wouldn't recommend it. It sends a negative message to location owners. Not to mention, sets you up for financial loss. Do yourself a favor and secure the location the right way.

Steve

• 2 months later...

The biggest problem with this is the potential for liability. I know that odds are in your favor that "nothing will happen." But if something does like someone chokes on a piece of candy or the machine falls over and hits an old lady in a wheelchair, etc........  How much more trouble will you be in if no one at the location ever gave you permission to even have your machine there in the first place. I know you can make the argument that if no one knows who the machine belongs to than how can they do anything?:huh: I know you can make other arguments too but I have seen some crazy lawsuits that people have won. I could list several examples but that isn't the point. The point is that if something did happen you would have nothing at all to stand on. The other point would be (especially in a smaller town) keeping your integrity and reputation as a vendor.

I will say that there are locations out there where I personally know for a fact this would not be a problem. I know of two locations right now in So. Cal where I used to live that the management wouldn't even notice or care if there were a few machines around their facility. But I wouldn't recommend this tactic unless you are 100% sure it would be fine and I would base that only on inside information from people who work there and who really know you could get away with it. But even then it is a little risky.

I know there are plenty of vendors out there that think this is no big at all. 10 or 12 years ago I might have done it myself had I thought of it when I had my route before. I guess you could make the argument for it under certain conditions and although I do find the idea humorous. I would not recommend it as a practice. 

David

Another concern should be your reputation. A happy location might tell 5 others about you, an unhappy one will tell 100. I have gotten a lot of new locations from existing customers; if you go in there univited not only do you risk getting thrown out, but you might not get invited to some other places they could open up for you. Think about the long term, not the single location.

Regards,

Philo

There are enough locations out there that you should not do this, to me its just wrong. Karma, this type of stuff gives bulk vending a bad name, when I first started I used a locator that did this and some other stuff and Im in none of those locations today.

Jimbo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One thing I often consider if I really want a location I will call first, then if I get a no I will wait a while and try in person. Never thought of going gorilla, but I have thought about walking in and acting like corporate agreed without actually mentioning it, and seeing how long it takes for the manager to contact the district manager and realize.

This came about when a Subway store manager said he wanted to help, but corporate would have to approve. I called the number he gave me, and the secretary was acting like a busy body-wall when I asked to talk to the DM. She gave me the run around, and said that Subway didn't have DM's, and I would need to contact their corporate office in connecticut and offer it to all locations around the country.

I still wonder how it would work out if I just walk in the store, and tell the manager I talked to corporate. I don't have to say they gave me the run around, and he should just assume it's ok if I act like it is. If they really don't have DM's I don't see how this can go wrong...

leo7068 wrote:

One thing I often consider if I really want a location I will call first, then if I get a no I will wait a while and try in person. Never thought of going gorilla, but I have thought about walking in and acting like corporate agreed without actually mentioning it, and seeing how long it takes for the manager to contact the district manager and realize.

This came about when a Subway store manager said he wanted to help, but corporate would have to approve. I called the number he gave me, and the secretary was acting like a busy body-wall when I asked to talk to the DM. She gave me the run around, and said that Subway didn't have DM's, and I would need to contact their corporate office in connecticut and offer it to all locations around the country.

I still wonder how it would work out if I just walk in the store, and tell the manager I talked to corporate. I don't have to say they gave me the run around, and he should just assume it's ok if I act like it is. If they really don't have DM's I don't see how this can go wrong...

i thought all subways were franchised. maybe they have some company owned stores also.