Mars 5000 Not Taking Dollar Bills

sonny

In making my rounds today I found My Vendo 8 selection pop machine (Model Q1F 4758XE) was not accepting dollars. Change box was almost full with change. Mars 5000 is the changer. Machine has always worked perfectly.

I tried to get that bill acceptor to take dollars but no way. Any ideas ?

Much Obliged

Sonny

Have you tried taking the bill acceptor apart and giving it a quick clean/dusting? is the LED flashing or anything?

Well now that you mention it I did notice a red glowing dot, wasn't flashing & to be honest don't know if that red dot is always lit or if it just started glowing.

I cleaned this dollar acceptor with a cleaning towelette insert about 3 or 4 stops ago.

What is the best way to clean one of these?

Also I believe I have several Mars 6000 changers in my parts that are new, will take one with me next time I go & see if it will bolt on & plug in the same way

I know I replied to this earlier today, weird.

But since you have updated the info. The red light should be on at all times, this is the power light (I'm assuming this is a Coinco).

The Mars 6000 is the same electronically as the Mars 5000 so it should be plug and play.

Since you have the 6000 I would suggest trying to replace that first since it will be the cheapest way. Other then that it could be the board or the validator. You do have the coin tubes full in the changer?

Can you confirm it is a Coinco Validator?

I second the motion of cleaning the validator. Which validator is it? Depending on the validator if there is a problem that solid light will blink different error codes. This is how I clean my MAGs. Turn machine off. Take off the bill box and then slide the bottom portion of the reader out(there is a big clip/button right on the front holding it in). There are multiple sensors on there. Clean them with a qtip and alcohol and clean the whole bill path, let it dry for a little bit, put it back together and see if it works. Both times I had problems with my validators this did not help, and i had to bring them into be serviced, but its worth trying.

I know I replied to this earlier today, weird.

But since you have updated the info. The red light should be on at all times, this is the power light (I'm assuming this is a Coinco).

The Mars 6000 is the same electronically as the Mars 5000 so it should be plug and play.

Since you have the 6000 I would suggest trying to replace that first since it will be the cheapest way. Other then that it could be the board or the validator. You do have the coin tubes full in the changer?

Can you confirm it is a Coinco Validator?

You know what - I did not check the change slots, it was snowing so dam hard I needed to get going so I kinda rushed as I filled both snack & sida machines to the max & I won't return out there for another 2 weeks. This is my furthest out account. Thank you for the sage advice

I second the motion of cleaning the validator. Which validator is it? Depending on the validator if there is a problem that solid light will blink different error codes. This is how I clean my MAGs. Turn machine off. Take off the bill box and then slide the bottom portion of the reader out(there is a big clip/button right on the front holding it in). There are multiple sensors on there. Clean them with a qtip and alcohol and clean the whole bill path, let it dry for a little bit, put it back together and see if it works. Both times I had problems with my validators this did not help, and i had to bring them into be serviced, but its worth trying.

I will try your advice on my next trip out there & will also take a Mars 6000 for back up

For what its worth.... if I don't have enough nickels in my changer it wont accept bills. My prices are in 25 cent increments, 50, 75 cents $1.25 etc when I first started I put a roll of quarters in. 3 or4 nickels and dimes.... all appeared to be fine but it wouldn't accept bills until I added a roll of nickels.

For what its worth.... if I don't have enough nickels in my changer it wont accept bills. My prices are in 25 cent increments, 50, 75 cents $1.25 etc when I first started I put a roll of quarters in. 3 or4 nickels and dimes.... all appeared to be fine but it wouldn't accept bills until I added a roll of nickels.

A machine being out of nickels should be on Use Correct Change Only. Even if you have prices at an even dollar. This is because someone can alway put in 3 quarters and 3 dimes. The older logic couldn't cope with this. Next step was quarters, the machine needed quarters above the low coin tube level to ensure enough coins could be paid out for someone that hit the coin return button and got change back. Now the machines count coins and will use all the quarters, nickels and dimes and depending on your price even give the bill back if it is in escrow (old machines had no escrow feature on the bill acceptors)

hmmmm interesting. when my nickles are below the low level, my bill acceptor light on the inside goes out, and it won't accept bills, but it will take change and the exact change light is on.

It should take change, but not over the amount of your vend price.

• 4 weeks later...

In making my rounds today I found My Vendo 8 selection pop machine (Model Q1F 4758XE) was not accepting dollars. Change box was almost full with change. Mars 5000 is the changer. Machine has always worked perfectly.

I tried to get that bill acceptor to take dollars but no way. Any ideas ?

Much Obliged

Sonny

Update: Made it back out to the country & pushed the reset button, ran a bill cleaner thru a bunch of times, & machine took dollars really fast, good thing as the change box was almost overfull & dam I like lifting up a heavy box full of Money

In my opinion soda machines is where it's at - fill them up full & forget about them, my snack machines are a pain in the arse

Archived