Vendiscuss Chatrooms

acvending

I think a great thing to add to this site would chatrooms. Have a room for each existing forum category. Could even hold scheduled meetings so everyone can discuss ideas in realtime. Like on specific nights from say 9-10pm EST. That way both coasts and everyone in between would be able to easily attend. At other times the rooms can just be open chats.

This has actually been brought up before. See the following thread starting at post #17.

http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=17&forum_id=11&page=1

The response I gave includes my reservations about having chat. I do however like the new twist you have come up with. If we open the chat area at pre-determined times for realtime discussions.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?

Steve 

i think it might be good if it was only used at certain times and only once a week. i think if it were available all the time it would seldom get used.

it might also be good to have a certain topic to discuss instead of just a free for all.

once again new people that have questions that have been covered many times in the back posts can go there to read and learn. this is why it might be a good idea to have a certain topic, or a few topics to discuss each week. you could take suggestions for upcoming topics to be vendiscussed!

i think it might be good if it was only used at certain times and only once a week. i think if it were available all the time it would seldom get used.

it might also be good to have a certain topic to discuss instead of just a free for all.

once again new people that have questions that have been covered many times in the back posts can go there to read and learn. this is why it might be a good idea to have a certain topic, or a few topics to discuss each week. you could take suggestions for upcoming topics to be vendiscussed!

Pusherman,

I think you are dead on with how live chat on VENDiscuss should be utilized. I think it can be a valuable toll if used properly.

Steve

And what you can also do is log each chat event and post them in the forum as transcripts so people who could not attend the chats can at least see what was discussed. That would eliminate the problem of things not getting posted in the forum that might be useful.

Oh and also it does not have to be only once a week. There could be events scheduled for other days if its a worthwhile topic. Depends on demand I guess.

OK, I'm sold! I will add a chat area in the coming days. We can use it as Pusherman suggested. It will not be open at all times but at specific times as sort of a meet and greet with scheduled topics. The transcript idea is a great one as well.

I need everyones input on scheduling and topics. If anyone wants to volunteer to be the "chat master" please speak up! I'm sure this will make T-Bird very happy!

AC, keep the ideas coming on this.

Steve

Chat Master?  I think that would be a job for yourself!

Hey I can't do everything! :D

Just so everyone knows, I'm working on this as we speak. I should have something ready very soon.

Steve

Also, the later the better. It gives time for all the parents to get the kids in the bed, and time for everyone to get home and settled it. We also need to have more than 1 session a week. Come on people. You will see how fun it will be, and want to do it more often. Hold on, more often, that means it will encourage everyone to be here if we only have 1 meeting a week, and not miss that 1 meeting?

I don't know. Whatever you think.

Kyle

As I originally mentioned 9 to 10 EST is good. That would be 6 to 7 PST. I guess 10 to 11 EST works too. Can't imagine anyone on here from the east coast has to be in bed by 10, but I could be wrong :-)

I am asleep by 10PM........... Posted Image 

Folks,

Live Chat is now open for beta testing! Go to the PLUS section under "Live Chat" to enter the chat area. I will leave it open for a couple days to work any bugs out. Let me know if you experience any issues.

We also have the capability to add different rooms so in the future I may assign private rooms to certain members for various reasons.

Enjoy!

Steve

Also,

It will ask you for a password. Just leave it blank. That will be used for ELITE members to set up their own private rooms if they desire. Just enter your username here on the board and you should get access to the public chat area.

Steve

At your service Brotha John!

Steve

EDIT: Also notice the "Who's Chatting" box in the left column of the home page. You can look there to see if anyone is in the chat area without having to actually go there.

Just a side note for acvending who does not believe people go to bed before 10pm. I am in bed at 6:30pm Tue - Fri and 5:30pm on Sun.

Wow, Sorry B, didn't mean to offend ya :) Sounds like you work overnights.  Well we could do it Monday nights instead of Sundays if everyone else agrees but being a weekday the west coast guys may not get home in time for the 6pm start.