How long does should nuts lasts before going stale?

quotealex

While doing the run of a person that wants to sell me his route, the he said that nuts(peanuts, cashews, almonds) can lasts for almost a year in a bulk machine before going stale. A few weeks earlier, another person (a product wholeseller) mentionned to me that nuts where like bread, they go stale quickly. He said they last at most 8 weeks.

Which one is telling the thruth? Since I dont eat any nuts at all, I wouldn't be able to diffirentiate between fresh and stale nuts. Can I leave old nuts in a machine even if it was there for 5-6 months?

While doing the run of a person that wants to sell me his route, the he said that nuts(peanuts, cashews, almonds) can lasts for almost a year in a bulk machine before going stale. A few weeks earlier, another person (a product wholeseller) mentionned to me that nuts where like bread, they go stale quickly. He said they last at most 8 weeks.

Which one is telling the thruth? Since I dont eat any nuts at all, I wouldn't be able to diffirentiate between fresh and stale nuts. Can I leave old nuts in a machine even if it was there for 5-6 months?

Unfortunately the whole seller is telling you the truth. Or at least the time for Honey roasted peanuts anyways.

One location owner was an older man and that was the only way to get my triple head in his store. Serve Honey Roasted peanuts in one head. recently he had hip surgery and was away from the store for almost 4 weeks and during that time I sold 6 vends worth, the nuts went bad.

Fresh nuts have that "crunch" every time you bite when chewing them up before you swallow. Stale nuts lose the "crunch" and its like chewing a chunk of bubble gum when you first put it in your mouth. You kinda have to put pressure to it to chew, but there is no "crunch" If that makes any sense at all.

My advice would be, if they aren't a popular item, try to phase them out. If you do decide to keep them in the machine, don't fill the head totally full unless you are pulling $40-50 out of that particular head each and every month!

NinnJinn.

All his locations are in taverns serving mostly alcoholic beverages and frequented by older patrons. All his machines only have various types of nuts in them and he does his run about every 8 to 12 weeks. I've never delt with these type of customers so I wouldn't know with what other product to replace the nuts with!

I wouldn't let any kind of nut in the machine for more than two months. After that they get stale and start growing bugs. If you have a location that does not sell well, change them out to save you a headache down the road.

NinnJinn.

All his locations are in taverns serving mostly alcoholic beverages and frequented by older patrons. All his machines only have various types of nuts in them and he does his run about every 8 to 12 weeks. I've never delt with these type of customers so I wouldn't know with what other product to replace the nuts with!

I see! Well, the possibility is definately there then! If you do feel you need to change from nuts to something else, I have heard that mint gum works well in those type of locations. But if the tavern itself doesn't serve nuts, then you could very well be just fine serving nuts with very little product loss. Just be sure to keep an eye on the product and adjust it accordingly.

ie. don't fill the globe totally full if they are only buying 1/2 a globe of nuts every 1-2 months. But if that baby is almost empty, fill er full to the top and bring a shovel and 5 gallon bucket with you to scoop up all the quarters! ;)

I have run nuts for years with few problems. I have several bar accounts and they usually do pretty well. I always use Planters peanuts and have never had a bug infestation using them. The only time I had a bug problem was with Boston Baked Beans (2 different locations affected by the same batch)that I bought from A & A. Like NinnJinn said just watch your fill quantities and use common sense. Be especially careful if a location has no air conditioning as it will cause all products to deteriorate much more rapidly.

Some of the locations where still half full when I did the run with the guy. I'm going to empty out these machines with fresh nuts on my next run.

Thanks for all the advices, I will sleep less stupid tonight:)

Archived