Location Closed

agrantha

I had a website development contract with a company in Sacramento a number of years ago, and the company decided it was costing them too much money to complete the project the way it needed to be done. So instead of sending me a check for the last week of work on the project, they decided to simply ignore my inquiries about the check.

So I typed up a nastygram and sent it certified. Got a very cheerful (literally) call the next day saying "Ahh, Profits! It's good to hear from you! I've been meaning to get in touch with you and let you know that your check is here. Just stop by anytime and talk to the front desk girl. She'll have it for you."

LOL

So, unless I'm mistaken Profits...the answers to my questions are:

No, you've never sent the small claims court letter for your vending biz.

So, no, you have never had to pursue a small claims court case for a bulk machine.

Most of us would probably find that the time spent in small claims is not worth an average bulk machine's value.

And if it's not worth the time, there's no real sense in making the empty threat of going to court.

It's not very time consuming AND it is very effective to simply speak to the right person at the property mgmt office.

And that's no theory - I have done it.

I could see where the one week's pay you were due in your example would be worth the the possibility of going to small claims court -- but, for a single or double bulk set-up? I don't think so.

Not knocking your suggestion -- Going your route may work.

But, let's not pretend it's the only way to handle the situation as you claim.

That's very misleading.

The OP may have just gotten some idiot answering the phone at the property mgmt office who knew no better than to refer him to the location owner.

I have experienced something similar and got it all straightened out by speaking with the real decision maker at the property mgmt office who knew how to handle the situation.

Unfortunately I've had to deal with this situation more than once.

I've yet to lose a machine when I have been in the OP's shoes and it has never required more than the time needed to make a call or two to speak to the right person and send a fax.

So I am living proof that your suggestion is NOT "the only one way to resolve" the OP's situation.

If your business is bangin' to the extent that $225 for a double head, or ~$800 for a 5-way isn't worth recovering, then more power to you. It's worth it to me to send out the letter, and it's worth it to appear before a judge to get the whole ridiculous situation sorted out in an efficient manner. It's the kind of situation that small-claims court is meant for. I'm just saying it's been successful for me in the past when it comes to dealing with people who otherwise couldn't be dealt with. That's basically the situation that Agrantha is in right now.

It doesn't really matter whether I've done this with my vending business, or with my photography business, or with my web dev business, does it? Point is that it's worked for me in the past. Human psychology is universal. And business is typically also universal.

Archived