Location Closed

agrantha

I should have known better. I boasted about this location and looked what happened.

I went to the wing joint to service my machine and the OPEN sign was off and the door was locked. There was a sign on the door that said, "Business taken over by property owner"

I called the property owner and told them I have a gumball machine in the business and need to get it out. They said I would have to discuss that with the business owner.

Luckily the business owner left two emergency contact numbers on the front door. I called her and she said she did not pay her rent so they locked her out. She is now trying to come up with the money to get back in. The business owner said she would try and give it another shot. But when she finally pays her rent, I am going to grab my machine and get out of there.

I can't see business for her picking up. The good thing about this scenerio is that I am handling it well. I am not letting it get to me. I understand that if I stay in this business long enough it will happen again. So there is no need to get upset.

However, I am glad I can come here to vent if I need to.

That sucks but at least it looks like you're going to get the machines back.

Have a lot of people here actually lost machines? Every time I see one on ebay without a lock I wonder if it wasn't a "lost" machine.

That sucks but at least it looks like you're going to get the machines back.

Have a lot of people here actually lost machines? Every time I see one on ebay without a lock I wonder if it wasn't a "lost" machine.

If you are buying from someone that actually does vending for a living, they may keep the locks if all of their machines are keyed alike. Or the vendor they purchased from may have kept them as well. Although I am sure that quite a bit of merchandise on there was aquired in a less than honorable fashion.

Although I am sure that quite a bit of merchandise on there was aquired in a less than honorable fashion.

Like stealing a machine, ripping the lock out to get product and money, then selling the machine to make even more money.

I went to the wing joint to service my machine and the OPEN sign was off and the door was locked. There was a sign on the door that said, "Business taken over by property owner"

I called the property owner and told them I have a gumball machine in the business and need to get it out. They said I would have to discuss that with the business owner.

This has happened to me -- more than once, I'm sorry to say -- and this is not something you deal directly with the business owner on.

DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE PROPERTY MANAGER OR OWNER.

Who's got the keys to the location? THE PROPERTY OWNER/MANAGER.

So dealing with the business owner means she will have to get caught up on her rent before she can get back in the building and you can get your machines?

That's not likely to happen..so I don't recommend you wait on this.

Call the property owner/manager back and insist on being allowed to get your machine(s).

If the person continues to refer you to the business owner ask to speak to someone above him/her since he/she obviously doesn't know what should be done in these situations.

What right does the property owner/manager have to hold on to your machines if you can substantiate you own the them?

You should be able to fax the property owner/manager a letter stating the property belongs to you and that you are requesting access to retrieve it from the location.

If you do not use serial #'s in your business for your machines, the fax should explain that purchases of said machines are in bulk and therefore no receipt for the SPECIFIC machine in question is available.

But, include a complete description of the machine & stand (color, make, model), explain you have the key that opens up the machine(s), and point out the fact that the machine has YOUR business contact info on the outside AND the inside of the machine.

I hope you put your business info INSIDE the machine too -- Putting it where no one can see it without opening the machine is very good proof of ownership...at least in these situations.

Some property owners/managers are friendlier than others.

But, be firm in your requests.

You can get your machines back regardless of what the business owner's status is with her lease/rent.

Get your machines NOW.

If relations between the property owner/manager and the business owner go sour, all of the property in the location that does not belong to the property owner (including your machines) will likely be put up for auction to re-coup some of the lost lease payments.

The property owner/manager won't bother to check for ownership at that point.

Thanks Sherlock

I spoke with the property manager today. She said I would need to work this out with the business owner. She then went on to say...Don't worry, I have reason to beleive she will pay me in a few days and the business will reopen. I am going to give it a week since the business is not far from my house and across the shopping center from a Wal-Mart I visit often.

If the business does not reopen, I will insist she lets me get my machine. If not, I will call the police.

Thanks for your input.

Sherlock

I just called the police to find out my options. They told me to call the civil magestrates office. I called them and they said I would need to pay $86 to appear in court and if I win I get my machine and the $86.00 back.

:o

Sherlock

I just called the police to find out my options. They told me to call the civil magestrates office. I called them and they said I would need to pay $86 to appear in court and if I win I get my machine and the $86.00 back.

:o

Yes. I could have saved you some time.

My post never mentioned the police or taking legal action because it's never worth the cost for the retrieval of a bulk single or double.

Follow my lead.

I learned how to handle these situations through more experienced vendors on this forum.

Deal directly with the property management/owner.

Fax them the request on company letterhead (even before they ask for it if you want to really be proactive) and get your machines back.

I hope you put your business info INSIDE the machine too -- Putting it where no one can see it without opening the machine is very good proof of ownership...at least in these situations.

That is a great info I haven't thought of doing.

I don't think many of us have any written documents with business owners stating that the bulk vending machines belongs to us. In fact, I believe any signed documents is frown upon by small time operators which most of us are:)

Yea, had this happen several times as well. Each time was a different experience. These property managers/owners can be accommodating to indifferent to just plain uncaring jerks. Most of the time, they are actually accommodating since they realize that there can be much 3rd party equipment on site – especially in restaurants. I see big red Coke and Pepsi labels on closed restaurants making a claim to their equipment on many occasions.

Sometimes you get those indifferent owners who also want proof of ownership. So, as previously stated, it is important to have your ID inside the machine with an identical copy in your wallet to verify proof of ownership. Of course having the right key to open the machine is also a plus! I once had a prop manager refuse to open the door because “It was just too far of a drive and I don’t get compensated for something like that”. I was fuming mad, but I had no choice but to wait for the next tenant to move in.

I have had a few uncaring jerks as well. One owner told me he does not want to be responsible for any lost equipment since he does not know me nor what the deal was with the business owner (who is long gone). It’s funny how they want you to talk to the original business owner when they know that person can no longer get into the property. That machine is still locked up!

I also had to go the legal route with one guy. He simply refused to acknowledge me after numerous messages. This place had 2 gas pumps, 1 hoops and 1 8-select u-turn - plus a lot of product inventory. So it was worth the cost for a lawyer to send a certified letter with all the legalese. The property owner called the day he received the letter and had the prop manager let me in! It was a bit of a poker bluff. But it worked out in this case.

I'd probably take them to court just on principle, besides the losing your time(time is money) you'd get your costs back except for maybe lawyer fees. And it's especially easy if you've already got a lawyer who might do it as a favor. A property owner who has locked out the business has in effect taken responsibility for whatever is in his location. He may be legally be able to hold the business equipment for payments due but he cannot hold 3rd party property.

If you don't have a lot invested it might not be worth the $$, but I doubt you'd lose. And it's always fun to make them drive a couple hours for being a jerk (which he'd have to do after being served).

I'd probably take them to court just on principle, besides the losing your time(time is money) you'd get your costs back except for maybe lawyer fees. And it's especially easy if you've already got a lawyer who might do it as a favor. A property owner who has locked out the business has in effect taken responsibility for whatever is in his location. He may be legally be able to hold the business equipment for payments due but he cannot hold 3rd party property.

If you don't have a lot invested it might not be worth the $$, but I doubt you'd lose. And it's always fun to make them drive a couple hours for being a jerk (which he'd have to do after being served).

I had this happen to me with a local chicken franchise here. The guy was not in the best location, and ran ut of money. I had to schedule an appointment with the property owner 3 times before they finally showed to get my machine out.

This location will reopen tomorrow at 11am for business. Should I remove my machine or give it another try. The only reason I am considering leaving my machine in there is because it is a new location. My first pull was $54.00 after 6 weeks.

However, I am leaning toward pulling the machine because I don't think it's worth loosing a Northwestern Super 60 gumball machine that is in new condition. I Only paid $50.00 for it. But it would cost me $130 to replace it.

North Westerns are not often sold on Craigs List.

I'd leave it.

But, I'd also be very candid with the location owner.

Explain to her the importance of keeping your machine out of the building should there be another lock-out.

And ask nicely if she would be kind enough to call you to pick up the machine if the threat of another lock-out approaches.

Location owners usually know well in advance when a property manager is about to lock them out.

She still may not call -- but at least you will have tried to avoid a repeat should the same thing happen again.

I currently have one if my machines locked in a location and going through the same issues.

$10 a week is a pretty good sum. Unless you have a location set up I would leave it. Try to find out when the lease expires (end of month, start of month)and hit it every month just before the expiry day or just go every 2 weeks and keep a low inventory in it.

I'll let you know how you can get your machines back ASAP, with an apology to boot.

Send a certified letter to the property owner saying that if you don't hear back from them within 7 days regarding the recovery of your machine, you'll have it out with them in small claims court for the value of the machine.

Small claims court cost you nothing. And a certified letter costs you $2.30.

You'll get a call the day they receive the letter saying to meet them at the location for the machine.

In some respects, you have already rolled the dice and won. The bigger gamble is keeping equipment in locked up locations. That is when mischief can occur. Everyone from the cleaning people to contractors to painters to prior employees to prior owners to competing vendors to even the land lord had a “shot” at the machine when usually no one else is looking. It’s always a judgment call to remove the machines or “let it ride”! If I don’t have a positive felling about the situation, then I want my stuff out.

Recently had this with a pizza joint with a sign that said “temporarily closed”. I looked in and saw that the rack was still intact. The property manager (who posted his contact info on the door) told me that a new ownership would reopen soon. Since I had a good rapport with this property manager AND it was a good location AND I had an overall positive feeling with this situation, I decided to let it ride and keep it in. But I was also able to monitor the situation since it was only a few miles from my house.

The location did reopen with new management and fortunately my machine is still intact and the new management wants to keep it. But there still was some mischief! A single head gumball machine was stolen and a triple head had its lock picked. Unfortunately many people fit the title “opportunity thief”.

Jax

I will not have to worry about mischief because today the business owner gave me the boot. She said the children were all over my machine. That is the reason she wanted the machine removed. I think the real reason is that she does not want me calling her again when she gets locked out again for not paying the lease.

Nevertheless, I have my machine back in good condition with $32.00 in quarters. That is too bad. This was a good location. This is the first location that I self located. I just walked in and asked if they needed a candy machine.

I will be contacting Rob to relocate this machine.

I'll let you know how you can get your machines back ASAP, with an apology to boot.

Send a certified letter to the property owner saying that if you don't hear back from them within 7 days regarding the recovery of your machine, you'll have it out with them in small claims court for the value of the machine.

Small claims court cost you nothing. And a certified letter costs you $2.30.

You'll get a call the day they receive the letter saying to meet them at the location for the machine.

How many times have you done this?

Has it ever not worked and required you follow through on your small claims court promise?

A fax is free (for some of us).

I've never had to do more than fax a letter to the property manager providing a written request and proof of ownership.

As they say -- you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

Jax

I will not have to worry about mischief because today the business owner gave me the boot. She said the children were all over my machine. That is the reason she wanted the machine removed. I think the real reason is that she does not want me calling her again when she gets locked out again for not paying the lease.

Nevertheless, I have my machine back in good condition with $32.00 in quarters. That is too bad. This was a good location. This is the first location that I self located. I just walked in and asked if they needed a candy machine.

I will be contacting Rob to relocate this machine.

Well, we never realy know how these things will play out. But in this case it had a reasonable ending since you have the machine back in good condition. In any event, it was a good and valuable learning experience as well. We vendors should develop a "policy" on how to handle closed up locations. It will happen many times and you need to be prepared to deal with it. Good luck with Rob (and his restaurant option).

How many times have you done this?

Has it ever not worked and required you follow through on your small claims court promise?

A fax is free (for some of us).

I've never had to do more than fax a letter to the property manager providing a written request and proof of ownership.

As they say -- you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

When you have a situation such as the one the OP described, this is really the only way to resolve the situation. The business owner doesn't have access to the machine, and the property owner says "talk to the business owner". Huh, kinda puts you in a bind, right?

Basically what's happening is you're getting f****d over.

The property owner didn't say "ahh yes! I'll get you your machine back. Just fax over a copy of the machine invoice, so I can confirm ownership."

He's saying "Screw you, and screw the other guy."

Should I send them both roses? :)

Archived