Looking to get started soon, looking for opinions

Recently I decided that I would start my own venture into the vending business. Ive been trying to decide how I want to get stared, and I think I've settled on candy machines as a starting point.

I was looking at the Vendstar 3000 machines and building a lot of them to get started. I don't have a lot of startup cash, so these seemed like a great starting point.

I've browsed around the boards on here and they don't seem to be to highly regarded. I guess I'm just looking for anybody who's had experience with these machines and their opinions and thoughts about them. Thanks!

I started with a few vendstars. They work, and they make money but they are easy to rip-off and are 100% plastic.

Although I am fairly new to bulk vending and do not have many locations I can tell you that when I first started doing

research into the bulk vending business I was set on triple head machines,

A lot of locations can not support a triple and you will end up with lots of stale product. That being said I myself would

go with double head machines.

Decent brands to stick with are Northwestern, Oak, and Beaver.

Nick

I started with a few vendstars. They work, and they make money but they are easy to rip-off and are 100% plastic.

Although I am fairly new to bulk vending and do not have many locations I can tell you that when I first started doing

research into the bulk vending business I was set on triple head machines,

A lot of locations can not support a triple and you will end up with lots of stale product. That being said I myself would

go with double head machines.

Decent brands to stick with are Northwestern, Oak, and Beaver.

Nick

I kind of assumed that the coin box at least was metal, but the all-plastic construction does make me nervous. Seems to easy for a smash and grab kind of thing, but I would be setting up in a pretty nice part of town so I'm not too concerned with theft. I did read some reviews that said it will accept coins other than quarters too.

Do you regret starting with the VS3000s? Are they drawing in a decent stream of cash for you? I've heard people claim $25-30 a month per triple head machine, which would mean people are averaging just over 1 .25 vend a day per individual tube.

Thanks!

I kind of assumed that the coin box at least was metal, but the all-plastic construction does make me nervous. Seems to easy for a smash and grab kind of thing, but I would be setting up in a pretty nice part of town so I'm not too concerned with theft. I did read some reviews that said it will accept coins other than quarters too.

Do you regret starting with the VS3000s? Are they drawing in a decent stream of cash for you? I've heard people claim $25-30 a month per triple head machine, which would mean people are averaging just over 1 .25 vend a day per individual tube.

Thanks!

If you have the machine in a public area there shouldn't be a problem with security. As far as accepting other coins I have tried pennies, nickels, and dimes and I could not get the machine to accept them.They are a problem though because the vendstars do not have a drop through coin mechanism so the pennies, nickels, and dimes just stay in there.

Anything relatively in the shape of a quarter and any material will most likely be accepted.

I don't regret starting with them and I even have one more to locate but I would suggest you started with another type of machine.

Like I said I had a misconception that triple heads would be the best way to go, but after research on this forum a double head will make just as much if not more than a triple.

Nick

If you have the machine in a public area there shouldn't be a problem with security. As far as accepting other coins I have tried pennies, nickels, and dimes and I could not get the machine to accept them.They are a problem though because the vendstars do not have a drop through coin mechanism so the pennies, nickels, and dimes just stay in there.

Anything relatively in the shape of a quarter and any material will most likely be accepted.

I don't regret starting with them and I even have one more to locate but I would suggest you started with another type of machine.

Like I said I had a misconception that triple heads would be the best way to go, but after research on this forum a double head will make just as much if not more than a triple.

Nick

Triples aren't bad if you vend a candy, gumball, and a toy from them. Even just toys and gum. But I also would say to start with doubles. And Vendstars will be virtually impossible to find gumball wheels for, so you cant even vend gumballs or 1" round caps from them without paying a pretty penny for those wheels.

Triples aren't bad if you vend a candy, gumball, and a toy from them. Even just toys and gum. But I also would say to start with doubles. And Vendstars will be virtually impossible to find gumball wheels for, so you cant even vend gumballs or 1" round caps from them without paying a pretty penny for those wheels.

I had planned on putting 1" bouncy balls in the center slot of each one, but that was before I knew they wouldn't fit. I think they'd be OK if I used popular candy though.

I've been looking online for 2 headed machines, but they all look very old-timey.

Nick

Good to know. Thanks!

Virtually no one has succeeded with triple-head biz-op all-candy machines. So why would anyone want to copy a model that has virtually no success? Look at Oaks (new or used) if money is tight. Then either get some cheaper tempo stands or make you own wooden stands. You want to control the number of selections and the types of products, which can only be done with single modular heads that offer all the various dispensing wheels. Vendstars are the most abandoned machine out there. You will be much happier 3 years from now with Oaks than Vendstars.

I had planned on putting 1" bouncy balls in the center slot of each one, but that was before I knew they wouldn't fit. I think they'd be OK if I used popular candy though.

I've been looking online for 2 headed machines, but they all look very old-timey.

Good to know. Thanks!

The old timey ones make as much as the brand new ones. At half the cost or less.

The old timey ones make as much as the brand new ones. At half the cost or less.

I agree. Just take a look at the reurb section and you can see how those old timey ones can look if you provide a little TLC.

BTW if you are looking for equipment in Florida, it'll be hard to find stuff that isn't from a biz op. There are machines a plenty if you want Vendstars, Vendesigns, Uturns and the like. But I would definately say stay away. Even I won't be buying any more metal triple body units anymore after I place my remaining stock. Doubles and buying small racks to hold 4 heads for locations that do well. Candy works, but only certain places are worthwhile. Toys don't go bad, and if you use individual heads, you can easily swap product on demand if you have a slow seller.

Virtually no one has succeeded with triple-head biz-op all-candy machines. So why would anyone want to copy a model that has virtually no success? Look at Oaks (new or used) if money is tight. Then either get some cheaper tempo stands or make you own wooden stands. You want to control the number of selections and the types of products, which can only be done with single modular heads that offer all the various dispensing wheels. Vendstars are the most abandoned machine out there. You will be much happier 3 years from now with Oaks than Vendstars.

hmmm I'll keep that in mind. I never thought that the Vendstars looked nice, even the metal ones look cheap and unappealing... But I figured that in the right locations (waiting rooms of auto shops, ect) I could make a little money to get started. My hypothetical plan was to get 20 Vendstar 3000s and start with that solely because they seem to be the cheapest used. Even if they only got 1 vend per tube per day, or 3 per machine, I could bring in a little over 400 bucks a month (not profit though D:) and I figured that would be an OK starting point to build up more machines and locations. I'm starting to like the idea of Gumballs/BouncyBalls/1" tube toys the more that I think about it, they seem to have a much better profit margin. Have you tried vending with the super sized spiral gumball machines (the kind that hold thousands)? They seem like an easy way to rake in some coins :D

Good point.

I agree. Just take a look at the reurb section and you can see how those old timey ones can look if you provide a little TLC.

The only thing I don't like about them is that a lot of them don't come with stands, so they are kind of deceptively cheap.

BTW if you are looking for equipment in Florida, it'll be hard to find stuff that isn't from a biz op. There are machines a plenty if you want Vendstars, Vendesigns, Uturns and the like. But I would definately say stay away. Even I won't be buying any more metal triple body units anymore after I place my remaining stock. Doubles and buying small racks to hold 4 heads for locations that do well. Candy works, but only certain places are worthwhile. Toys don't go bad, and if you use individual heads, you can easily swap product on demand if you have a slow seller.

You've got that right. Craigslist is barren, local classified ads have nothing and there are no local pickups on ebay, unless Miami is local -_-

Do any of you own refrigerated drink machines? I seen a few online for cheap lately and have considered going that route...

hmmm I'll keep that in mind. I never thought that the Vendstars looked nice, even the metal ones look cheap and unappealing... But I figured that in the right locations (waiting rooms of auto shops, ect) I could make a little money to get started. My hypothetical plan was to get 20 Vendstar 3000s and start with that solely because they seem to be the cheapest used. Even if they only got 1 vend per tube per day, or 3 per machine, I could bring in a little over 400 bucks a month (not profit though D:) and I figured that would be an OK starting point to build up more machines and locations. I'm starting to like the idea of Gumballs/BouncyBalls/1" tube toys the more that I think about it, they seem to have a much better profit margin. Have you tried vending with the super sized spiral gumball machines (the kind that hold thousands)? They seem like an easy way to rake in some coins :D

Do any of you own refrigerated drink machines? I seen a few online for cheap lately and have considered going that route...

For your first 20 machines, I don't think that I would expect the full national average per machine. Expect $200-250 and be happy if you get more. You will likely need to move them around a bit to get your average up.

Spirals seem to be on the decline, and cost an arm and a leg to buy even used most of the time. I don't think I would go that route.

I run full size machines as well, and the outlay for 2 machines soda/snack not in a location is going to cost you 800 to 1000 bucks or more used. Plus roughly $400 to fill up initially. And if you pay a locator, add another 2-500 bucks. If you know some places you can definitely place them that have a lot of traffic, I wouldn't hesitate to do it, as long as your bankroll is big enough. Don't forget that you'll have to be able to move these as well, and you'll need a dolly and a truck, trailer, or van.

For your first 20 machines, I don't think that I would expect the full national average per machine. Expect $200-250 and be happy if you get more. You will likely need to move them around a bit to get your average up.

Spirals seem to be on the decline, and cost an arm and a leg to buy even used most of the time. I don't think I would go that route.

I run full size machines as well, and the outlay for 2 machines soda/snack not in a location is going to cost you 800 to 1000 bucks or more used. Plus roughly $400 to fill up initially. And if you pay a locator, add another 2-500 bucks. If you know some places you can definitely place them that have a lot of traffic, I wouldn't hesitate to do it, as long as your bankroll is big enough. Don't forget that you'll have to be able to move these as well, and you'll need a dolly and a truck, trailer, or van.

Yea, I was probably being overly optimistic about initial results. Realistically, I figured that it could take around 3 months to find good locations for the first twenty machines for them to have a steady stream of customers. I'm starting to reconsider the candy route, or at least the VS3000 machines. I think waiting for deals and build up a route slowly is going to be better. Spiral machines do seem to be left behind and unappealing, I was just curious if anybody was still having success with them.

I've been finding some local coke/pepsi machines that are pretty cheap, but supposedly in good working condition. I've been kind of doing my own survey of my area when I'm out and about, keeping in mind candy, soda and other machines, so I think I can avoid locators. I've seen some listings for Red Bull machines too and have thought about making an offer on one of them. Energy drink vending seems like it would be a great cash maker.

Oh, and I've got a Ranger pickup too so all I need is a dolly ;)

Yea, I was probably being overly optimistic about initial results. Realistically, I figured that it could take around 3 months to find good locations for the first twenty machines for them to have a steady stream of customers. I'm starting to reconsider the candy route, or at least the VS3000 machines. I think waiting for deals and build up a route slowly is going to be better. Spiral machines do seem to be left behind and unappealing, I was just curious if anybody was still having success with them.

I've been finding some local coke/pepsi machines that are pretty cheap, but supposedly in good working condition. I've been kind of doing my own survey of my area when I'm out and about, keeping in mind candy, soda and other machines, so I think I can avoid locators. I've seen some listings for Red Bull machines too and have thought about making an offer on one of them. Energy drink vending seems like it would be a great cash maker.

Oh, and I've got a Ranger pickup too so all I need is a dolly ;)

Used machines for me are the way to go. Even if they have minor problems, you can post the question on the forum, and someone will likely have an answer. I would also stay away from Red Bull machines. They are only set up for Red Bull, and you can vend those from most other machines with a shim kit and as long as the machine is multi price. I would consider buying a Red Bull machine if you can get it cheap enough, just for the validator and the Coin mech. If it's set up to take 1,5,10,and 20's that in itself would make it worth it, as they cost an arm and a leg to buy on their own, around $900 I think.

Used machines for me are the way to go. Even if they have minor problems, you can post the question on the forum, and someone will likely have an answer. I would also stay away from Red Bull machines. They are only set up for Red Bull, and you can vend those from most other machines with a shim kit and as long as the machine is multi price. I would consider buying a Red Bull machine if you can get it cheap enough, just for the validator and the Coin mech. If it's set up to take 1,5,10,and 20's that in itself would make it worth it, as they cost an arm and a leg to buy on their own, around $900 I think.

I found a pepsi machine I can get for a little under $300 and pickup locally (kinda), but it's cans only which I'm not sure I like. I think a Red Bull machine would have a good chance in my area, I'd just have to really look hard to find a good location that didn't have too many energy vending machines already. It seems like it would be a great cash making machine though.

I think a Red Bull machine would have a good chance in my area, I'd just have to really look hard to find a good location that didn't have too many energy vending machines already. It seems like it would be a great cash making machine though.

Ask some of the full line guys like Mission what they think. I was saying I would buy the machine and scrap it, if it had a validator that did 10 and 20 dollar bills, and a coin mech to match. You would be able to use them in something else.

Archived