U turn stands unstable?

cdk

I have recently bought 12 second hand U-turn machines from ebay and just wondering if anyone can help me

The stands when put together seem to be a bit unstable, ie if I touch the completed machine they have about 2 inches of 'sway'. This really doesn't seem right...

I have put them together using this diagram http://www.uturnvend...ines/Parts.aspx which isn't very helpful

About 1 inch of the centre pole going into the machine, then a nut to fasten, the round outer pole, the base and then a nut and a washer on the bottom under the base.

Are there any tips or tricks I should know about?

I have recently bought 12 second hand U-turn machines from ebay and just wondering if anyone can help me

The stands when put together seem to be a bit unstable, ie if I touch the completed machine they have about 2 inches of 'sway'. This really doesn't seem right...

I have put them together using this diagram http://www.uturnvend...ines/Parts.aspx which isn't very helpful

About 1 inch of the centre pole going into the machine, then a nut to fasten, the round outer pole, the base and then a nut and a washer on the bottom under the base.

Are there any tips or tricks I should know about?

2 inches of sway is too much. Try to determine where the sway is (at the base, around the turntable, or where the stand screws into the bottom of the machine). Make sure that the bottom nut is good and tight and work your way up. Most of the time some minor adjustments will do the trick.

2 inches of sway is too much. Try to determine where the sway is (at the base, around the turntable, or where the stand screws into the bottom of the machine). Make sure that the bottom nut is good and tight and work your way up. Most of the time some minor adjustments will do the trick.

Your sway is possibly at the point that the threaded rod goes into the turntable on the underside of the machine. You need to lock that table in place when you tighten down the rod with channel locks. A screwdriver can be held with one hand and stuck into the small tab on the turntable. Use the channel locks in the other hand to grip and tighten the rod. It's easiest to do with the machine upside down as oppsed to on it's side, so remove the top, canisters, and upper rod first. Also, make sure you have the washer in place between the nut and the base of the stand. Other issues could be a bearing problem on the turntable, or that the turn table is not tightly attached to the base of the machine. They made 3 or four changes to the design over the years, and if these tips don't help, posting a pic indicating the problem area may help. I have bought and sold many of these machines on Ebay over the last year.

Thank you both for that, will have to give those ideas a try.

The more I put together, the more I am finding that each machine has it's own 'personality', and some are just a bit more trying than the rest!

Thank you both for that, will have to give those ideas a try.

The more I put together, the more I am finding that each machine has it's own 'personality', and some are just a bit more trying than the rest!

You are absolutely right about each one having it's own "personality". I have bought alot of these used and that has been my experience as well. I think when people store them they disassemble them and then when they decide to sell them they just throw them back together mixing and matching lids, stands etc... and it leads to problems like your seeing. Hopefully you can get them adjusted without too much trouble.

You are absolutely right about each one having it's own "personality". I have bought alot of these used and that has been my experience as well. I think when people store them they disassemble them and then when they decide to sell them they just throw them back together mixing and matching lids, stands etc... and it leads to problems like your seeing. Hopefully you can get them adjusted without too much trouble.

I can certainly second that. I think most of the trouble with any group of second hand machines in general, is the over tightening of the machines before disassembly.

I reckon there would be a market for an 'unofficial' users guide/manual for used u-turn machines. I'm sure I am not the only one out there who has bought these machines used and would prefer to pay $10-20 for an ebook to learn how to maintain/service/repair/refurbish these particular machines without having to go through trial and error all the time. There is a wealth of information on this forum and on the net, but very little regarding uturns in particular (at least not that I can find!)

Maybe a good idea for someone stung by paying a fortune for the U-turn biz op?

Archived