Non-candy bulk vending ideas

shepherdsflock

My local shopping mall has a large indoor playground where lots of children and parents congregate. Adjacent to the playground is a large bulk island with probably 25 or 30 heads dispensing candies and gums. While the children are playing, the parents just sit there looking bored. They occasionally give their kids change to get candy, but there really isn't anything that seems to interest the adults very much. I was thinking about trying to put my triple machine nearby with some non-candy snacks that might get some parental business.

I'm thinking about cashews and peanuts, and not sure what to put in the third hopper. Maybe Peanut M&Ms since I've noticed the giant island isn't selling them.

Any ideas or advice? It seems like there is a good market of parents in this location that could be a good customer base that the candy and gum machines aren't getting. Anybody try to go head to head with big time operations like this island at shopping malls? Any effective techniques you'd share?

I'd like to work my way up to something like that, but first I have to generate some revenue to buy another machine to try it. The mall has been around for quite a while, and the lack of toy machines makes me wonder why. There are some quite a distance away from where I would like to put one, so I'm wondering if the mall management has prohibited machines like this in close proximity to the play center.

My local shopping mall has a large indoor playground where lots of children and parents congregate. Adjacent to the playground is a large bulk island with probably 25 or 30 heads dispensing candies and gums. While the children are playing, the parents just sit there looking bored. They occasionally give their kids change to get candy, but there really isn't anything that seems to interest the adults very much. I was thinking about trying to put my triple machine nearby with some non-candy snacks that might get some parental business.

I'm thinking about cashews and peanuts, and not sure what to put in the third hopper. Maybe Peanut M&Ms since I've noticed the giant island isn't selling them.

Any ideas or advice? It seems like there is a good market of parents in this location that could be a good customer base that the candy and gum machines aren't getting. Anybody try to go head to head with big time operations like this island at shopping malls? Any effective techniques you'd share?

First, have you gotten permission to put your machine here? If so I would be hesitant about any peanut products and kids due to the allergy issue and the legal climate today. The rest follow what Kelly said.

First, have you gotten permission to put your machine here? If so I would be hesitant about any peanut products and kids due to the allergy issue and the legal climate today. The rest follow what Kelly said.

Yes, peanut allergies have really grown and are very dangerous for children (or adults) that have them. Schools don't even allow any children to bring peanut butter & jelly sandwiches because it could cause a reaction in another kid. They don't even have to eat the peanuts to have a reaction. I would not do peanuts because the risk is high and profits too low. Those are good at bars.

If you can get something there then your marketing to adults is good but don't forget that kids might see your machines as well. Especially since they already have quarters ready. Did you already get permission? This might be pointless if the island has a lock on the location.

Archived