Wizard Spiral question

ZonkyTheDonkey

So I go to install my spiral machine at this local Mexican Restaurant, and as I'm about to lock it up, I realize the (cam I think it's called) the thing the actually locks the door shut has broken off and I'm unable to lock my door. Does anyone know how to fully remove the lock to replace it? And does anyone have an extra lock they'd be willing to sell me?

Sounds like the lock is not "locked".

If it's not locked...no need for a locksmith.

You mentioned the lock would not lock because of a broken part.

The broken part is likely the "tail" section that swivels back and forth as you turn the key.

first off...are you sure it's broken?

Do you see a remaining piece of the "tail" on the camlock?

If not, the "tail" may have just fallen off while in transit and not broken as you believe.

They fall off easily enough sometimes because it's usually just a screw or nut that holds them in place

If it is obvious that it is broken, all you need to do to remove the lock is loosen the nut that holds the camlock against the body of the door/machine.

This nut is on the INSIDE of and right up against the machine/door.

You should then be able to pull the whole unit off through the outside of the door/machine.

If the "tail" is broken but there is still enough of the "tail" in place to prevent the entire camlock unit from being pulled through the hole after the nut is loosened, you can easily remove the "tail" by undoing the screw or nut that holds it in place against the body of the camlock.

Sorry...hope that description above made sense....and I hope it's just a case of having had the "tail" fall off...those things do that on my camlocks from time to time.

However, IF you need to replace the camlock, most hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot carry them.

You can buy them there and save yourself the time of having to wait for one through the mail from an online dealer or a forum member here.

I'm not 100% sure if it was broken or not, I ended up leaving it at the restaurant and just jammed the door shut. I looked through my car and other placed for the cam part. Luckily, my location is literally next door to a Home Depot. So I can just get a replacement tail section of the cam lock at the Home Depot rather than paying $50 after shipping for a new lock?

I'm not 100% sure if it was broken or not, I ended up leaving it at the restaurant and just jammed the door shut. I looked through my car and other placed for the cam part. Luckily, my location is literally next door to a Home Depot. So I can just get a replacement tail section of the cam lock at the Home Depot rather than paying $50 after shipping for a new lock?

Not sure that you can just buy just that "tail" section at Home Depot & Lowes.

I've only seen the entire lock w/keys for sale there.

They keep them in the area where they have drawer pulls and such.

A whole new cam lock w/keys will set you back less than $10.

May as well do that.

Check it out: Home Depot Cam Locks - example

Good luck.

So this problem is resolved now. I went to the mexican restaurant where my spiral is at, and i felt around in the base and found the cam and screw that went along with it and was able to reattach it. I just placed this spiral 2 days ago, and there was already $3.25 in it. I am pretty happy with that given the profit margins on GB. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate the replies.

Not sure that you can just buy just that "tail" section at Home Depot & Lowes.

I've only seen the entire lock w/keys for sale there.

They keep them in the area where they have drawer pulls and such.

A whole new cam lock w/keys will set you back less than $10.

May as well do that.

Check it out: Home Depot Cam Locks - example

Good luck.

I just installed the chrome drawer lock on my spiral and was a piece of cake and works fine. I am having trouble finding the top lock which I mangled drilling it out. Wizard wants $29.00 plus shipping which seems to expensive.

Archived