Honor box business idea

thevendingbutler

I am getting ready to start up an honor box business and I am wondering if it is better to market the business as a formal business with company logo, company uniform, business cards (possibly a website) or go for the more informal approach by not doing any of these things? It seems to me that the more formal approach would generate more credibility with businesses whom I try and place boxes with, while maybe the informal approach might make theft go down a little because I think people would sooner steal from a company than they would an individual. Your thoughts and opinions on this would be much appreciated.

I am getting ready to start up an honor box business and I am wondering if it is better to market the business as a formal business with company logo, company uniform, business cards (possibly a website) or go for the more informal approach by not doing any of these things? It seems to me that the more formal approach would generate more credibility with businesses whom I try and place boxes with, while maybe the informal approach might make theft go down a little because I think people would sooner steal from a company than they would an individual. Your thoughts and opinions on this would be much appreciated.

I have a hat and a shirt with my company logo, so people know im not just some schmuck wandering through their break room, especially in banks. All my boxes have my company name and ph# on them, as well as my biz card. I have flyer packets which go along with the boxes explaining what they are and how they work. My first name is part of the company name.

your theft is going to depend on you. some people are scumbags and will steal everything. but most people wont especially if you get to know them. these are small business owners too, make sure they know its YOUR business and your income. Also make friends with the owner/manager they will keep an eye on it for you. If there are problems tell them, but dont make a big deal about it. I always say "someone forgot to pay" instead of "the box was short". I treat it casually, genially and as not a big deal, because you dont want to accuse people's employees of theft. make sure to keep a postivie vibe when discussing missing money. Also remember you wont collect 100% decide what raate of loss is acceptable to you. Anything under 12% i dont mention it. Between 12-20 I leave a note on the box and a word with the manager. Usually that fixes it. 40% the box gets pulled.

I get a good solid pay rate. in some cases my boxes are kept on the counter for customers. I have only had one problem with this arrangement in a year.

Archived