Buying used equipment- legal concern

TeamS

One of the machines we are looking at buying is already in place in a route by a gentleman in our area.  We are looking at the rest of the machines tonight.

As I looked over the first machine I saw a metal plate on the side that states:  "Vending machine is owned by (or mortgaged to) DR PEPPER bottling company of Texas..." followed by some warnings and a reference to Texas Penal Code, Section 32.33.

So, what is your take on this?  Do you think that perhaps someone (probably NOT the gentleman who currently has the route) has taken a machine that doesn't belong to them?  It is OLD and we have been told that it has been refurbished.  We are still trying to verify how old.  I am not interested in buying equipment that was acquired illegally.   :shock:

Has anyone run into this before?  Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.  Have a blessed day.

Mrs. Team S

• 2 weeks later...
I have come across these before and you don’t want that machine. Dr. Pepper owns that machine and if they sale it they remove the plate. If a Dr.Pepper Rep. finds that machine they just take it with no questions asked. You can also call the Dr.Pepper plant and give them the info on the plate and ask them if this machine was sold and who to. I can tell you now they are going to tell you that the machine was to be scraped or was stolen.

Thank you for the response.  We decided against purchasing this route.  There were too many questionable things about it. 

We have found another route that we are still looking into.  It looks really good.  No stolen equipment or anything!  :D

Thank you for taking the time to confirm what we thought might be the case. 

Have a blessed day!

Mrs. Team S

All the refurb'ed drink machines I have bought have the property of Pepsi and asset ID tags. Most of the refurbishers buy the used machines from the bottlers and may or may not remove the tags. I think that its unlikley the machines were stolen.

JD

Pepsi will no longer sale there old machines. This is there new business model. They are all sold to scrapers for the medal in the machines. A lot of the scrapers then turn around and resale them which will void there contract with Pepsi and would include a fine to the scraper.  Pepsi does not want there old machine on the streets anymore and are willing to take a lose to have them scraped. If you call you Pepsi bottler and tell them you own a Pepsi machine that has one of there tags on it they are going to ask were it is so they can take it back. It does not mean it was stolen but it does mean Pepsi will take it. I have seen this a few times on the east coast I don’t know about other locations.

Thank you for your input.  We can always call the company and see what they have to say.  It's nice to know that it doesn't always mean the machines are stolen.

We will just call and see if we have a question about a particular machine.  Thank you for giving me a different perspective.  Have a blessed day!

Mrs. Team S