Racks with wheels

AMD Snacks

I'm a bulk candy vendor, who's relatively new to the business and I want to get into racks inevitably. I've been scoping out locations and i've notice a lot of supermarkets have rack systems outside on wheels. Is that a vendor like us, or is that something they bought themselves? Because now i'm wondering, who puts it out everyday, or is it safe to leave it outside? I'm not sure if they roll it back in everyday themselves and the vendor has to include that as part of his commission or what. Also if you get a location like a laundromat, does your rack need to be bolted down or fastened, or do people pretty much leave them alone in most cases? Any help is much appreciated.  

I only ever had one spot where the location put the machine outside every day, but that was a seasonal place, and it was a lightweight Vendstar unit.

I have a few racks with wheels, all of them Northwesterns. The casters they've got on them are "meh", as they're pretty tiny. I sure wouldn't want to move it too far, nor too often though. Racks are, by and large, tricky to move.

For laundromat security, it really depends on the place. No vending setup is ever totally secure from theives- if someone is set on robbing you, they'll find a means to do it. I focus less on "total" security and more on deterrance. I'm sure that if some meth-head wanted my gear, he'd be able to get it, but there's enough security gear on it to make it too much work for the "average" theif. If that makes any sense. My tools of the trade are heavy-duty eye-bolts, a half-way decent padlock and a high security bike chain (like THIS). They come in a lot of low-profile styles and designs (which don't look like crap like some chains do), can be wrapped around most any vending setup (even single pipe stands) and will keep your gear from walking off save for the most dedicated theives. But, that's what insurance is for. ;)

Hmm it might just be this area then. Don't get me wrong I see racks that don't move at all. But I see quite a few out in front of grocery stores. Pretty much every location I see that looks good for a rack, already has a rack, so I'm just going to get one put together and try and try and try to find a location for it. Meanwhile i've been placing triples like there's no tomorrow. lol

Hmm it might just be this area then. Don't get me wrong I see racks that don't move at all. But I see quite a few out in front of grocery stores. Pretty much every location I see that looks good for a rack, already has a rack, so I'm just going to get one put together and try and try and try to find a location for it. Meanwhile i've been placing triples like there's no tomorrow. lol

You can pick up used 5-ways most anywhere on the cheap side. Might need some TLC, but I've scored them for less than $100 on Craigslist in the past. My "best" search terms are "Capsule Machine" and "Toy Machine" to get the results whittled down. I wouldn't reccomend starting racks with anything bigger than a 4-or-5 way though, as the bigger the unit, the harder it is to find it a proper home.

If you're building a rack from "scratch", I reccomend the A&A Step Stand. It's relatively cheap, very durable, comes apart easy to fit in any vehicle, and if it's not in use can literally be slid under a bed. As a bonus, the bottom shelf has these "bumpers" to keep errant shopping carts from beating up your bookend machines as much. It'll fit pretty much all the "standard" vending units out there today. Remember to order at least 1 bracket for each machine you plan on installing (more for bigger/wider gear). I forgot to ask about that my first time, and it set my operation back a week, as I couldn't attatch my machines to the rack without them. :rolleyes:

I have two big Oaks that I bought from a guy on this forum, I was hoping to figure out the actual rack part later lol. I planned on getting some northwesterns to fill the rest of the space. I have mainly 1800 triples ( I like em and keep getting them cheap) and my plan is to stop buying those, and just start buying northwesterns for doubles and for racks, that way I only have one machine to keep parts for. Not sure if it's a good plan..but it's the plan for now. 

I have two big Oaks that I bought from a guy on this forum, I was hoping to figure out the actual rack part later lol. I planned on getting some northwesterns to fill the rest of the space. I have mainly 1800 triples ( I like em and keep getting them cheap) and my plan is to stop buying those, and just start buying northwesterns for doubles and for racks, that way I only have one machine to keep parts for. Not sure if it's a good plan..but it's the plan for now. 

That is a superbly good plan. Sticking with 1 "primary" machine type will give you tremendous flexibility in the future as you grow your business.

Thanks, and since I have the ear of an experienced guy, what you think of northwestern? I just chose them cuz they have a good enough rep, and I hear you can get em at Sam's club (I only have costco at the moment) all day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Northwestern is one of the best companies out there, and their machines are unmatched in quality. Northwestern makes up the majority and core of my operation- they are superbly reliable and easy to maintain.

If you're getting them from Sam's though, you are paying way too much. Contact Northwestern direct, and talk to their reps- you should be able to knock $20-$30 off of your order per head. Ask about any unpaid orders, or factory defects they might be looking to sell too- sometimes they have orders assembled and the buyer doesn't pay and then vanishes, and occasionally they have machines that come out of the factory less than perfect (99% or the time it's an errant paint job, which is easy to fix). If you're buying used, barring serious rust or a deformed body, they'll work fine.

I had one 5 way that I put wheels on so the store could roll it outside during nice days. It got stolen! Never again.  Make them work for it.

Gotcha, do you ever have racks that stay outside, like secured somehow? I do see racks outside i'm just never around after hours to see how that pans out..

Northwestern is one of the best companies out there, and their machines are unmatched in quality. Northwestern makes up the majority and core of my operation- they are superbly reliable and easy to maintain.

If you're getting them from Sam's though, you are paying way too much. Contact Northwestern direct, and talk to their reps- you should be able to knock $20-$30 off of your order per head. Ask about any unpaid orders, or factory defects they might be looking to sell too- sometimes they have orders assembled and the buyer doesn't pay and then vanishes, and occasionally they have machines that come out of the factory less than perfect (99% or the time it's an errant paint job, which is easy to fix). If you're buying used, barring serious rust or a deformed body, they'll work fine.

Thanks for the info. I called them and they sent me a brochure and all that jazz, but no one mentioned other options, glad you told me. 

Gotcha, do you ever have racks that stay outside, like secured somehow? I do see racks outside i'm just never around after hours to see how that pans out..

No, but I have some that are chained up on the inside.

Archived