Hiring Locators

candyman007

• 8 months later...

He does not check in here everyday I think. You might be better off calling him or placing an order for locations through his web site. You do not need to buy a machine from him to have it located. Rob will locate almost any bulk machine I believe.

Takeabreak...you'll get a lot of different opinions about machines here :)

I would recommend you look in the Equip Review forum and pick a machine that works for you.

Personally I started with XYZ Easy Pros for $145/ea. But then I moved to Vendstars for about $15 ea (used).

Of course most of my locations are in break rooms, etc. so I don't need a flashy machine there.

But start with the equip review forum.

Kevin

Takeabreak,

I haven't used Kickstart. I've only used Midwest (except for one guy who located one place for me). Kickstart won't guarentee their locations. I've asked Rob to explain why and he hasn't. That being said, lots of people here use them and are happy.

My $ will always go to Midwest, though. They are great to work with and they replace any location doing less than $15/mo. They have gotten me into amazing locations - Olive Garden, Applebees, Longhorn, etc. Plus, on two of their locations I've been able to place other bulk machines and one of their locations is asking for a snack machine (I do full line also). So I am very happy with them.

For specific numbers, they have placed 20 machines for me, and they average $28/mo. And there are about 6 under $15 locations in there that they will be replacing for me - so the avg will go up.

For the machine...I love the XYZ's. In the Equip Review section you'll find a lot of good info on them.

However, at $145/ea, I realized after buying 17 of them that I could get other machines much cheaper. I bought 27 Vendstars for about $15/ea and that is what I've been using lately.

If I have a location where the machine is used by patrons of the business (instead of, for example, in a break room, etc.) then I'll place an XYZ or something else. But otherwise I put the Vendstar in there. A lot of people here hate them. For me, they take quarters and are a fraction of the cost of other machines. I can almost always pick one up on CL for $40 max, sometimes $30 or so. The $15 deal was an exception, but I was happy to take it :)

Kickstart won't guarentee their locations. I've asked Rob to explain why and he hasn't. That being said, lots of people here use them and are happy.

Kev- I'm curious about this myself. I looked at their website and found this.

Platinum Plan Includes:

• Revenue Guarantees

• Revive Revenue Guarantee of at least $20 Per Month
    • Mad Dog Energy Revenue Guarantee of at least $20 Per Month
    • Dentyne Ice Revenue Guarantee of at least $20 Per Month
    • Buzz Bite Revenue Guarantee of at least $20 Per Month
    • Single Head Unit Revenue Guarantee of at least $10 Per Month
    • Double Head Unit Revenue Guarantee of at least $15 Per Month
    • Triple Head Unit Revenue Guarantee of at least $15 Per Month
    • UTURN Revenue Guarantee of at least $20 Per Month
    • Snack Box Revenue Guarantee of at least $10 Per Month
  • If revenue does not meet or exceed these MINIMUM revenue dollar amounts we will replace the location free of charge. This warranty is valid for 3 months.
  • 3 Month “Kick Out†Warranty – If a business owner decides they no longer want the machine we will replace the location free of charge. Valid for the first 3 months. 
  • 2 Year Extended Warranty – For any reason we will replace a location for only $20 during the first two years. This could be due to a business shutting down or a machine simply not generating enough revenue. 
I'm a bit confused about the "replacing only a % of machines". Maybe he changed his policy?

Yes. being someone who has gotten the shaft in the past from a so called locator- I want to make sure I am dealing with a reputable locating company. Any insight you guys have on KickStart vs Midwest would be appreciated. I have 50 XYZ Triples on the way and need to make a decision on locating soon.

Thanks!!

Guile, scroll down from where you read to the "Terms and Conditions". Look at the 4th one and you'll find this:

(4) Revenue Guarantee – We will replace a maximum of 30% of locations of locations due to poor performance. I.E. With a 10 location placement we will replace 3 locations due to poor performance.

Kevin

Takeabreak, people seem to be very happy with both Midwest and Kickstart. For me *personally* I will not risk someone who will only replace 30% of locations. Midwest replaced 50% of the locations of my first batch and they will need to replace 40-50% of the second batch too.

That being said, the locations they got me that are good, are soooo good that the overall averages are fine and I would be happy if they replaced nothing.

Perhaps this is why people are ok w/30% from Kickstart?

Kevin

30% does not work for me either. They are either good or they are bad. ( the locations that is ). And I am not one to want a change of location that quickly. But if a location s**ks it needs to be replaced. Just my opinion.

Guile, scroll down from where you read to the "Terms and Conditions". Look at the 4th one and you'll find this:

(4) Revenue Guarantee – We will replace a maximum of 30% of locations of locations due to poor performance. I.E. With a 10 location placement we will replace 3 locations due to poor performance.

Kevin

Ahhh...thanks for that Kevin. I bet they get a LOT of people who are NOT aware of that (30%) based on the description of their plans. That important fact should be mentioned there and imo, is (somewhat) deceiving. I have heard good things about Rob/Kickstart but I have to agree, that type of guarantee is more akin to US automakers:) I would think with all the good business and happy clients at Vendiscuss, Rob would consider changing that policy.

g

I have only had one that needed to be replaced from Rob though so I wonder how his compares to Midwest. Rob does have a higher guarantee amount too but is his miss rate the same as Midwest?

alyssamma

You say Midwest needed to replace 1/2 of a batch and then less then half of those replacements needed to be relocated. Don't get me wrong here because I use both of them but that is about 70% to be relocated all together to get above $15 a month? Then I can see why you are concerned with the 30% relocation figure. I would imagine that they all keep track of what % they have to relocate but we don't have access to that number other then what they would admit to. We all want that $50 location but I think that to be more realistic locators fall in the $20 range and I tend to do about the same when I locate. I would be interested in a test with a couple of different members giving Midwest and Kickstart one location each. They would need to call them first thing or right before they close so they would have the same amount of time to work on it. Then post the locations, when they got them and a follow up in one month on the amount from each. I will work on the particulars with Steve if we have some members that will participate and pony up the respective money to each locator. Sort of a clash of the locators contest.