Don't Stop Trying

joshbrooksflorida

Hey Folks,

A great exercise in character development:  fire the locator.

Mine was 'Johnny on the Spot' when I was ready to pay to have machines located.  Her locations came with a 90 day guarantee.  Since then, five of my twenty machines were kicked out, and four are doing incredibly poorly, averaging less than 0.25 vends per day.  However, when I called her to use my 90 day guarantee, she informed me that she's busy/hurt/delayed and otherwise unable to travel to my town to honor her guarantee.

In the mean time, twenty six more machines showed up on my door step.  All of this has forced me to go into the locating business.  While I approached this task with a certain level of fear and dread, it has actually turned out to be a very good thing.

I have personally been successful in obtaining some OUTSTANDING locations.  I got a poker room, where the two-head NW S60 full of jelly beans and pistachios is full of quarters every time I check it.  I got a Circuit City (!) where I put two 4-head racks (8 head total) that averages >$80.00 per month.  I got two mail and ships, a grocery store with a bank inside (my machines are right by where the line forms for the bank!), several break rooms...  good, quality locations.

I get said 'no' to a lot, and I'm not as efficient as the locator, but my locations are quality locations, and this experience is making me a better vendor.

Good luck, don't stop trying, and have fun!

Josh 

Just a suggestion.............Our locator (which we are now doing ourself's ) goes into these industrial parks and goes to the back door and asks for the GM  then starts his speel of ....whatever charity your with and gets them located in their breakrooms.   We just had a place call us back 1 hour ago with an  "OK" to come back and place.  My hubby did this all by his self.  So exciting!

You might give these tool and die places and small business a chance.  Break rooms are suppose to be GREAT!

Josh,

I may have to go the "if you want it done right, do it yourself" method. Its encouraging to see folks tackle  getting locations. I have been gathering different scripts and looking over them to start practicing myself. Let us know how it goes.

It most likely works out the same either way. You pay a locator and wait or spend the time and money to go out on your own. You just don't hear the no's when you use a locator. I have done it both ways.

Way to go Josh!! Debbie ( my wife ) has started locating for us.  She has not secured a location yet but when she does she will be hot to trot and there will be no stopping her then!

Here's another way to think about it:

Location = $40.00

I can usually find about five locations in one day.  That's about 95 'Nos' and 5 'Yeses' before I'm mentally exhausted, and want to go collect quarters out of my machines.

5 Locations x $40.00 per location =$200.00, divided by 95 'Nos', = $2.10 per 'No'.

I earn $2.10 just for smiling at someone, saying please, and getting told 'No' (that's 8 vends!).

Good luck, and have fun.

Well done, Josh.  That is a very positive attitude.

Here is an excerpt from Chapter 9 PERSISTENCE, in Think & Grow Rich.

'There may be no heroic connotation to the word "persistence," but the quality is to the character of man what carbon is to steel.'

In case you couldn't tell, I really like this book.  :cool:

Brian