$1.00 Toy Vends?

caserri

Anyone having success vending toys at $1.00? A&A lists these Dora's as a $1.00 vend. $1.00 seems a bit high for anything out of a bulk machine but I don't want to miss out if they are actually selling.

Steve

I think there are way to many people on this board to be talking rack vending. Just my opinion.

Mike

Mike,

I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at. Please explain.

Steve

Not trying to get at anything. Im glad to answer questions on here and help new people out. I enjoy it infact. There are boards for sharing certain info. I dont have any idea who is on this board and where they live. There isnt anything wrong with keeping somethings to yourself or only sharing with people you know.

Mike

Ok.

There seems to be a communication problem here. I am simply asking if anyone is seeing success with $1 vends. The info I'm looking for is no different from the info Tee was looking for, and provided, in this thread ==> http://www.vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=577&forum_id=1 

I may have mis-interpreted you but neither of your posts in this thread have anything to do with my question. I appreciate the fact that you are here and like to give advice. I'm just really not sure what you are trying to say. Are you trying to say that what I asked should be considered top secret info? If so, I would have to disagree.

Steve 

Steve, I feel that $1 for a vending machine is a bit much, but my observations tell me differently.  All of the $1 vending machines I see around all seem to sell items quicly (not as quick as the $.50 machines however). I'm sure that if you get popular item suck as the "Dora" items pictured, they would do well.

Thanks Gabe. I too feel it's a bit much and honestly I haven't noticed any $1 vend machines in my area. If others are seeing success though, I will give it a shot.

Steve

honestly I haven't noticed any $1 vend machines in my area.

I take that back. I do know of one Bounce-A-Roo machine in the area selling balls for $1.00. And moving them fast I might add.

Steve

Well, for $61 dollars a case, those Dora things better sell. I see this working, however in certain places. People don't think anything of it being .50 more, because it is not the normal product, they seem "quality". I have seen a $1 machine with cheap helmets in it, with unlicensed teams on them, and they sold. 

Kyle

I'd like to address 2 issues brought up in this thread.

#1 - $1 vends. It appears right now the market is not ready for $1. There are too many 50 cent machines still out there. 4 quarters are too much too ask someone to have. Change machines have been tried and they only make sense in extremely high volume locations. I am making the move to 75 cents. The item that you show is a good 75 item (sales and cost wise). I am looking for items that have a slightly higher perceived value than what everyone else is selling for 50. Change as many mechs as you can in one area to 75 so you don't  give the customer too many 50 cent choices.

I have shown good numbers at 75 when I come across good product. Rotation and product selection becomes even more important at 75 than it did at 50. Unfortunately I don't think  operators will be able to stay at 50 too much longer; start making the move now.

Haven't had any success with $1 balls/ Bounce - a -roo's either.

#2- Sharing information. The way a community like this works is everybody looks to learn a few things and teach others a few things. Ideally at the end of the day EVERYBODY IS RICHER. The only possible way that giving someone a hot item tip is a bad idea is if there is an extremely limited quantity of said item. I wouldn't tell an enemy either, but I don't think that is a problem here. Don't worry too much if a competitor of yours ends up selling the same item a few stores down from you. The item will probably still sell.

Steve,

I am doing Care Bears @ $1 in BBV. They are doing about the same as $.50 as far as number of pieces sold. I think they look like they are worth $1. If you really look at the products that are available, you will see that you could get away with the higher price-point on some of them. I figured if Walmart next door can sell them for $1, so can I at BBV.

Gary

$1 vend does seem high.  Also, I vend excusively candy right now, based on my feelings that it is a good value for the customer, and also the concerns with lead and choking hazards associated with toys.  There are some cool toys in the $1.00 vending lines, but in my opinion, there is a lot of junk and its not a good value for the customer.

The other issue is profit margin.  I am making $0.16 to $0.23 profit per turn on a $0.25 vend (177%-1150% profit), which in any other business (including selling drugs and robbing banks) is sensational.  I feel like those folks that have upped their costs to $0.50 for candy are getting greedy, and are taking advantage of the customer.  There are places where folks have machines for $0.50 selling gumballs and candy, and I set my stuff up at $0.25 and get all the business.

One thing that I think we need to think more about is the customer.  Without the customer, we're all just a bunch of guys and gals with candy and machines.  I don't feel that the customer gets as good of a  value by buying a toy from a vending machine for $1.00 as they do a hand full of candy for $0.25.  Also, I think going $0.50 for candy and gumballs at this time is too expensive.  Save those $0.50 coin mechs, though, as inflation continues.

Josh

josh,

all of the major toy suppliers in our industry  test for lead paint and choking hazards.

I run racks with candy, gum, stickers, and toys at all price points. Toy sales are the largest piece of the pie. Ultimately the consumer determines what item has the most value.

Smiley,

Good points.  Distributors are supposed to test for lead, just like Matel was supposed to. 

I agree with you about the consumer determining what has most value.  This is the hard, honest (and beautiful) truth about an open market.

One question.  I have the code cracked on getting locations for stands and small racks (square deal 4s).  How do YOU get your locations for your bigger racks?  Thanks very much.

I know I said this before, but I'm Canadian eh!:D

We have the Loonie and the Toonie, so when I go by racks those are the prices. Of course there is also candy at a quarter some at .50 or even $1.00. But all sells.

In one location I sell PMM's for a loonie (8 selection u-turn), I think you get 7 pieces, and people keep comming back, even though I sell them in about another 75 heads for a quarter. Guess which one I prefer.

Grumpy

• 2 months later...

well I am trieng the 1.00  spongebob squishy eye key chains,and they seem to be doing ok.I only have them in 1 location,in a small town.tomorrow I plan on switching this toy out to a brand new location in a bigger town where I think they will do better.1.00 is a good value for a keychain,ecspecially if its sponge bob and his eyes bug out.some of the  toys I sell I take to my pizza shop in the box and let my help pick out what they want ,most bought 1 and some bought a couple

I also will try the care bears.I am going to get 100 from A A,i GUES YOU CAN BUY 100 IF YOU CAP THEM YOURSELF.I like how this toy looks and the attention to detail it seems to have.parents and kids alike should like this paticular toy too imo.

Antonio,

I was doing Care Bears at one store for $1.00 and they started off good but slowly came to a near stop. I think the $1 price-point is to high. People are alright with .25 or .50 but $1 is to much. I moved them to another location and lowered them to .50, they are flying out of the machines. I am paying .21 each for them so I am still making money on them. I would rather do that than have them set there for months at $1. They are a great item so I hope you do well with them.

Gary

Antonio,

I was doing Care Bears at one store for $1.00 and they started off good but slowly came to a near stop. I think the $1 price-point is to high. People are alright with .25 or .50 but $1 is to much. I moved them to another location and lowered them to .50, they are flying out of the machines. I am paying .21 each for them so I am still making money on them. I would rather do that than have them set there for months at $1. They are a great item so I hope you do well with them.

Gary

Gary,

did you cap them yourself for such a low price?I got a .75 and 1.00 coin mech along with the wheels I needed for my newest adition,if the items dont do well at 1.00 (when I get them)I plan on trying for .75 before going as low to .50

Antonio,

They are about $53 per case of 250 at A&A. That's .21 per capsule. That's the regular price for them.

I didn't have a $.75 mech just a $1 so I went to$.50, If you have to go to .75, let me know if that makes a big difference.

Thanks

Gary

• 1 month later...

Antonio,

They are about $53 per case of 250 at A&A. That's .21 per capsule. That's the regular price for them.

I didn't have a $.75 mech just a $1 so I went to$.50, If you have to go to .75, let me know if that makes a big difference.

Thanks

Gary

well after about 2 months my wife went back to service the 2 super 80 on a stand set up that I have.on one side for 1.00 is sponge bob squishy eyes and on the other big bouncy balls for 50.

I wasn`t happy with the earnings.$53.00 before commission in 2 months.unfortunately my wife didnt keep track of how much of what sold(I forgot to tell her). even assumeing the majority was sponge bob its still not good.

I had her switch out the coin mech for a .75 cent one.in 2 more months we will see if that does anything to increase sales.

Antonio,

I had big issues with $1 mech's also. I don't think the customers are ready for that price-point. Think about it-most people have a quarter or two to spare in their pocket. Maybe even 3 quarters, but that's pushing it. Put 4 quarters! Not to likely. So they have a choice, ask for change of a dollar or walk away. Now if the vending machines we are using took dollar bills, that would be a different story. Maybe some day?

I am trying $.75 mechs on just 2 of the machines I just ordered. I am putting Care Bears in them. Care Bears to me look like they are worth $.75. I sell care bears in 2 other accounts now for $.50 and they are flying out of the machines.

What are your thoughts?

Gary

Gary:I agree with you.You are right,it is early for 1.00 for now.I will try it in my city/fastest location to try it out one more time before I give up.

I ordered 100 each of care bears spiderman buildable and puppies again.I found an account that sells well with puppies.I will cap them at one inch though and keep them at 50. cents.

I will test these to see what they do for me and will report on these in a month or hopefully less.

75 cents is the way to go it seems.

as far as dbv it think its unlike;y but I wish lol!!the machines would look funny!!lol