AP 7600, Weird Problem

Vendors Tech

Okay, I have a good one for you technicians...

I have this AP-7600 that I have been working on for some time now. Here is the problem:

The board light will not come on, it won't take money or do anything. The main overhead light comes on.

Here is what I've done to it:

I have replaced the main board with known working ones 3 times, replaced the digital display twice, replaced the power board twice, replaced the coin mechs harnessing, replaced the transformer and power supply box, and even cut the main tray harness out of its tubing and checked it for breaks or cuts. Everything checked out there, and nothing EVER changed.

I tested the power cord for power coming in, and the harness coming from the transformer to the little power board. Power is always present at both places, so 110 is entering and travelling fine. I also took all the trays out.

Nothing I've done has ever made that board light come on once at any time. Occasionally, all 5 board lights would flash together at once briefly when I applied power, but that was it. Any ideas?

You said you replaced the coin mech harness but did you replace the coin mech as well? I'm not sure about the AP7000 but I had a machine years back that would not power on because of a coin-mech problem.

I had something similar years back due to a validator acting up. I had to unplug the validator to get the machine to work properly. I'm not sure what the problem was but try unplugging the validator if it has one.

Lastly, check the door switch? I doubt it's the door switch but.... I would unplug the validator and/or replace the coin mech and see what happens. These are very simple things at least.

Okay, I went back the next day and the first thing I did was install a coin mech. I had one in there, but had taken it out to paint and test the machine. It was one that came with the machine and it wasn't working anyway. The board will still not power up if the coin mech is not plugged in. I have other 7600s that will power up with the coin mech unplugged, but this one works perfectly as long as the coin mech is plugged in. Is it normal on some 7600s for the board to not power up if the coin mech is not in there?

Honestly, I always thought that those APs wouldn't work at all w/o a coin-mech installed. It was standard procedure at the previous employer of mine to have coin mechs installed in all machines before testing them. I don't think that the coin-mech has to be working 100% but the machine usually needs to know that it's there... unless you set the machine to free-vend....

So did plugging in the coin-mech solve your problem?

So far, yes. As long as the coin mech is plugged in, the machine works fine. I am just puzzled as to why another AP 7600 in my shop will power up and allow pricing and such with the coin mech and validator unplugged, but this other 7600 machine sitting 5 feet away from it will not do the same without the coin mech.

So far, yes. As long as the coin mech is plugged in, the machine works fine. I am just puzzled as to why another AP 7600 in my shop will power up and allow pricing and such with the coin mech and validator unplugged, but this other 7600 machine sitting 5 feet away from it will not do the same without the coin mech.

I think I am more puzzled as to why your other APs are working without the coin mech lol.

Archived