Charity or commission

Donovon

So I've been reading a lot thread on snack boxes, and decided that we would try one out we are putting it together now.. But I only have one question at this point. Does any one offer a commission on a snack box or are they place mostly by charity? The location I have in mind has ask for such a box I have a bulk rack there as well with commission. What would u offer?

This was my first attempt at this sort of vending. The location has a few employee and host an open mic night each week. I have a small bulk setup with commission... Already there. I probably should have read this before placing because we offered a small commission of 10% of net. We will see what the out come ins in the next few weeks. We're only trying to bump up sale at this location by 10 or 20$ a month.... We have the making for another snack box an hope to be placing it next week... But will do it under our charity... Tell the truth if we make 10$ off this I will call it a success...

Here's how I'd play this one (and I'm very new to this). You either pay a commission and the company where you place it covers any shortage OR you pay no commission and you cover the shortage. My understanding is shortage will run in the 15-20% range on average and commissions are in the 10-20% of gross range.

In your case it sounds like you will cover the shortage AND pay a commission on the net. Paying on the net is better than on the gross but you're still increasing your costs.

So little update our first snack box location after 2 weeks there was out of 40 items in our box, 11 items were left and 29$ in the box ... We're gave the location.. 5$... Was impressed.... Now with the bulk rack and the snack box at this location.. It's gravy

That's awesome! Good deal. I go the charity route. I think when you place machines, assess the business to see if it would be viable for a box and try to get 2 for 1. I placed two machines this week and before leaving offered boxes. They both took them.

Empowerdls and Donovon, the locations where you placed bulk and honor boxes: how close are the bulk and honor boxes in the location, as in close proximity of each other? Are you doing gum and possibly a runt candy bulk as not to compete with your honor box sales? Toys in bulk? Wouldn't think a restaurant type location would allow a snack box so toys don't seem a option?

I have some bulk charity nonrestaurant spots that I feel would do well with a snack box, but I am unsure if I put a snack box in if the bulk candy would move then.

Thank you for any information and insight. I need it- Ginger Vend

Ginger V......great questions. I leave box placement up to my location and what they feel is best whether that be available only to employees or to employees and customers. I prefer both for more sales and most locations look at it as a service to their customers as well. Had a manager tell me this week that it will be a good way to keep the kids a little quieter. So depending on the account, the box and machine may be in the lobby together or they may not.

I do not put gum in my box because I don't want to compete against myself...lol. The locations where I have boxes and triple head bulk I am using runt style candy (crazy bananas), dubble bubble tab and skittles...no chocolate. I am using the smaller boxes from Cameron that dogcow uses. COGS on each box are running me approx $8.50 with a potential profit, if everything sold, of approx $18-19.

At an investment of $8.50 plus cost of box per loc....if somebody picks it up and walks out your not out that much. I know a lot of people don't like honor boxes because they believe there's no honor left in the world. Believe me, no one understands that more than me. I have been a cop for 16 years and counting and have dealt with a few dishonest people but if your in bulk vending I'm telling you this business model rocks especially if your paying a locator for bulk. You get a loc from your locating company and you also just used that $ invested to locate an honor box for free.

I have mine located at a thrift story. My bulk is located at the front door, and the honor box is located t the front register so the owner can keep an eye on it.. I don't run any candy, I have a step stand setup two 1in and a 4col sticker/tattoo with a two inch on a stand . The store host an open mic night once a week and so other class at night.. Combine buck and charity has made this a profitable location which other wise not have been... We increase the selection and offers a few more healthier choices.. We're hoping to see and up in sell from the next pull.. We been busy making up so new boxs to go locate on Monday. We found running both bulk and. The the honor box we have a lot more business to choice from weather bulk racks or an honor box

Thanks guys.

I agree empowerdls, i average losing 3 doubles a year to thief (the entire machine walks away and no one saw it happen??) or places closing up and taking machine with them. Losing a box would be a lot less painful. Plus a much faster return on initial investment. And you are not so limited in product selections. Sounds great!!

Archived