Drill baby drill!

lurtsman

I have a 1800 that needs a lock drilled out--I think. The top center piece was broken off by a vandal. Putting the key in and turning the lock does not work. So, I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have a better solution?

2. Will my equipment be strong enough for this job?

Supporting info: My equipment is a Hitachi DS 12DVF3 SGX

and some Hitachi drill bits marked as "135 degree split point blackgold advantage

Links: http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DS12DVF3-12-Volt-Ni-Cad-Cordless/dp/B0009Q4MBI

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-728080-14-Piece-BlackGold-Drill/dp/B000MGEK62

Ive only done that on machines the have locks that stick up. I think 1800 locks are flush with the lid. It may still be posible.

Dremels are amazing. They cut through locks like butter quickly.

Idk about 1800 machines but with other metal triples if you brake open the top lock you can reach the back lock from the inside. It requires unbolting the plate with the 3 candy wheels.

I hope to find a 1800 machine for sale near me sometime.

I had the back lock off and finally realized I could remove the piece holding the rod in place by using a ratchet with a Phillips screw driver bit. Once that was loose I unscrewed it from the bolt, then I spun the rod with the lock held in place by the lid. The rod came out of the lock, and I put the base down and pulled the lid out of the lock. No drill needed as long as you can get to the base.

I had the back lock off and finally realized I could remove the piece holding the rod in place by using a ratchet with a Phillips screw driver bit. Once that was loose I unscrewed it from the bolt, then I spun the rod with the lock held in place by the lid. The rod came out of the lock, and I put the base down and pulled the lid out of the lock. No drill needed as long as you can get to the base.

Glad you found a solution. I'm still trying to figure out how a vandal broke it in the first place- it seems like the cash box or plexiglass front would be a more appealing target, but who knows what goes through these guys' minds. Crazy things I'm sure...

Archived