Fire!

Machine is a DN 501 t

I was cleaning it up and accidently got the connector from the light ballast wet and one of the wires coming out of the electrical connector on the light bulb side caught on fire! Has anyone else had this happen?

I unplugged the machine and blew out the flame, it was tiny, maybe a quarter of the size of a match flame. I unplugged the ballast and dried off the connectors and plugged the machine back in. Everything seemed fine. I left the ballast unplugged as the light bulbs stopped working a week before hand, I just didn't get around to replacing the bulbs yet.

Now i'm kind of worried about using lights in these older machines... i don't think there is any advantage to using them.

What are everybody's thoughts?

p.s. sales have not been effected from the lights being out.

I probably have less than twenty out of 90 that still have the lights on. But it depends on the location. Some want them out because they are going green, Some dont care, and some I truly believe the whole machine could be empty but as soon as the light goes out they are on the phone. A lot of it has to do with where the machine is located in the building. Just off the front lobby or in a really nice lunch room the lights probably better work. Back of a warehouse or in the vending area of a factory probably not so much.

One of my biggest accounts we installed a glassfront, snack, cold food and coffee, the machines all match, got them all line up installed some trim between machines all the lights are on looking good and the VP of OPS comes in takes one look at them and says " Is there anyway we can turn off all those lights were going green"

You can check on LED options. You can buy strips to length at a homestore like menards or home depot. You just connect the 110v that went to the balast to the LED power supply. Instead of using say 27 watts, you will be useing 2-4 watts.

Did you learn your lessons?

1 Electricity and water don’t play well together.

2 Keep away from energized high voltage wires.

3 Unplug the machine before working on it unless you sure you what you are doing.

Florescent lamps operate at voltages up 600 volts.

I still think you will find sold wires that need to be replaced with stranded wire.

Walta

Lessons were well learned indeed! I am the type of person that always learns the hard way, but hey, as long as i'm learning ;)

I like the idea of using LED strips. I will have to see how the ballast "plugs into" the machine.

Archived