Coinco Quantum 700 series problem

Hello all,

Before I start I want to say that I am in no way a professional here. We operate a small vending operation at our power station here for the power company and own our own machines. I'm part of the rec club so I get the fun task of trying to figure out what is going on here. Thanks in advance for the replies.

We have a coinco quantum CAQ-720 that will not accept coins. There is no coin jam and everything with the coin tubes seems good. It was intermittent up until yesterday and I've since cleaned the accepter and now nothing at all. I'm about to take this thing apart and see if there is any loose wiring etc. There is a solenoid that operates a door that allows the coins into the coin tube that is not opening for any coin at all now. Coins drop right through to the coin return slot.

Any info on what I can check? It's not as easy as driving it to a vending company and have them fix it. We're 300+ miles away from the nearest city and 500 miles from any vending company.

Thanks for the input.

You did not say if this is a snack or soda machine and does it have a dollar bill acceptor and if it does will it accept dollars and give you change. What did you clean the coin mech with? It should have been soap and water or rubbing alcohol. Anything else will leave a film and cause it to get worst. One thing that I would do is make sure the coin tubes are filled up and see if the coin will go to the coin box. If you empty the nickels tube does the machine have an exact change light or led display and does it come on with exact change only.

That will tell you if the machine sees the coin mech or not. If it sees it and gives you change then it has power and we have a coin mech not a machine issue. If it will not pay out change by pushing the quarter dime nickel buttons on the coin tube or pressing coin payout in the machine then it either has no power to it or the coin mech is dead.

My .02

You did not say if this is a snack or soda machine and does it have a dollar bill acceptor and if it does will it accept dollars and give you change. What did you clean the coin mech with? It should have been soap and water or rubbing alcohol. Anything else will leave a film and cause it to get worst. One thing that I would do is make sure the coin tubes are filled up and see if the coin will go to the coin box. If you empty the nickels tube does the machine have an exact change light or led display and does it come on with exact change only.

That will tell you if the machine sees the coin mech or not. If it sees it and gives you change then it has power and we have a coin mech not a machine issue. If it will not pay out change by pushing the quarter dime nickel buttons on the coin tube or pressing coin payout in the machine then it either has no power to it or the coin mech is dead.

My .02

This is a Dixie-Narco soda machine. It does not have a bill acceptor. I cleaned the coin mech with a damp cloth (water only). The exact change does light up when I empty the tubes. I can empty the tubes by pushing the corresponding buttons on the mech.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like your coin acceptor (the top removable part of the coin mech) needs to be tuned or has gone bad. Unfortunately with a Coinco that means you will need to send it out for service. I'd suggest finding a replacement on e-bay by the time you pay shipping both ways it probably will cost about the same.

Yep, it needs tuned. Pretty much no one (including us) can tune those Quantums. Coinco is the only one that has the software, and they guard it like gold. It would be cheaper to buy a used one than to have Coinco tune that one. Buy an MEI TRC series, you can tune those yourself.

Do you have a coin mech to swap it out with to check if it is the wiring harness? It might also be that the solenoid might be stuck. Open the Coin Mech up... clean it good with some electrical component cleaning spray... a shot of wd-40 on the solenoid pin might help too.

Its not the solenoid. Don't use WD-40, it won't help, and will only make the coin mech smell bad. It needs tuned. Just buy a Mars and you can always tune those. Coinco Quantums are no good. If you need a 4 tube, get a Mars VN-4000 series.

• 2 months later...

Archived