problem with a toy taxi

dogcow

got a call about a toy taxi crane, the mech was all jammed up with stuff. cleaned out the mech but when i rebooted the machine it didnt go thru the full cycle. when the claw goes to raise up, it just jerks up a bit and then the display goes dead. , nothing happens.

i tested the switches, everything works, unplugged the claw coil

tested the fuses.

my thinking is maybe its a bad relay or bad motor?

i have a spare gantry and board , but any thoughts, how to test the relays ? is there a good way to tests motors without cutting them out of the harness

i switch the board into claw strength mode and it went thru that mode fine,

Is the claw string going around all the pulleys correctly? It sounds like it is locking up and causing an error. Are you getting an error on the screen?

good idea, could be a bad roller switch or broken wire

first off, pull it all the way to home position so switches are made, now when you turn it on and it goes through the motions manually with your hand make the switches on claw(meaning hit claw at top of switch as it would normally hit so the pc now thinks it has went through its boot up stage...

now put some credits on there and go play and see if claw drops etc,, its a whole lot easier to diagnose this way if its a relay or motor or switch...

If its a switch then you won't be able to go through check at boot up and motor will keep spinning trying to make switch..

if its a relay stuck and you now have credits because you did what mentioned , when you move joystick to left or right etc i will act funny,if a relay is stuck it will keep trying to go right or left because relay can't change polarization of motor..

if its a motor you can swap wires on up/down motor ,right/ left motor and see if their roles will swap,,meaning if you hit left to right the claw will drop,if not that motor is bad,,if you push button it will got left or right,, this will also let you know if relay is shot because if you hit left or right then crane will then reset like you mentioned because relay is melted and shorting out..

I would say its a bad motor as i have had toy taxis motors go bad on me.

ron

Is the claw string going around all the pulleys correctly? It sounds like it is locking up and causing an error. Are you getting an error on the screen?

claw winding is fine first thing i checked, no , no error on the screen, it just goes dim

good idea, could be a bad roller switch or broken wire

broken wire is possible..not looking forward to testing that lol

first off, pull it all the way to home position so switches are made, now when you turn it on and it goes through the motions manually with your hand make the switches on claw(meaning hit claw at top of switch as it would normally hit so the pc now thinks it has went through its boot up stage...

tried that but whether i hold the switch or not it doesnt finish the boot up sequence

cut the wires to the motor and see if it finishes the boot sequence..this will determine if its a motor or board..if motor is locked up it could cause short when it gets to that point in boot up sequence and freeze it all up,, if it gets to that point and motor wire is cut off you can still make the switches manually so its boots up and then you have your problem...easier to cut wire than change entire motor,gear etc.. so you can eliminate the board as problem..

ron

cut the wires to the motor and see if it finishes the boot sequence..this will determine if its a motor or board..if motor is locked up it could cause short when it gets to that point in boot up sequence and freeze it all up,, if it gets to that point and motor wire is cut off you can still make the switches manually so its boots up and then you have your problem...easier to cut wire than change entire motor,gear etc.. so you can eliminate the board as problem..

ron

great advice thanks,

i swapped it out with another toy taxi i have that had a bad coil,just swapped the machines

and changed the coil

so its back at the shop now i have some time

to mess with it

Archived