Shock at my best account yesterday

JCS Vending

I have a Town garage account with 5 blue collar male employees trending $60/month, my best honor box account by far. I go in yesterday to refresh the box and there is a shelving thing hanging on the wall filled with all of the same food items as in my honor box with a 50 cent money box attached - all items 50 cents. I found the employee who originally agreed to let me in there and asked what it was about - who put all of that up there?

He said they had always had that available for the guys, that he buys it and basically sells it at cost as a courtesy for his guys. He said he didn't mention that to me when I came in asking to place my snack box. He said he understands why I charge $1 because I'm doing it to make a living. I was speechless and asked, "should I leave my box here or do you want me to take it out of here?" He said if I wanted to leave it I could in case they run out of anything on the shelves then they would buy from my box. He said they hadn't run to the store since I first came in in mid November so it's been empty, that's why the guys were buying from me.

I left with my head hanging low, how awkward that was. I'm thinking I could pull the items that are in there and replace my items with things like ready to eat canned chili, soups, etc. I live in a snowy area and they may want something like that for the season. I'm looking to you experienced vendors for other suggestions on what I can do with this situation. Your suggestions welcome and appreciated.

I would offer to take over stocking the shelves for him as a convience for him. This way he does not have to mess with it. I have had two soda machines given to me in the last year, just because the owner was tired of sending people to the store to stock the machines. They were selling sodas for .25 and .35, they had no problem with me raising the price to .75 just so they did not have to mess with it anymore. Its worth a try...

In my experience convenience wins out over price in most cases. My bet is if you leave your box over time they will get more and more lax about stocking their own snacks (eh, we'll let it go another week - they can always get something out of the box) until they finally quit bothering altogether. Give it a little time and I think this account may end up a winner for you.

You have a great point BobTJH. I left it there and went today (9 days later), only $1.00 in it. I'm still keeping hope - I removed all of the items from my box that they have on their shelving for sale so my box now only has items they don't. We'll see how that goes.

You have a great point BobTJH. I left it there and went today (9 days later), only $1.00 in it. I'm still keeping hope - I removed all of the items from my box that they have on their shelving for sale so my box now only has items they don't. We'll see how that goes.

I think it was a smart move to offer items that they don't currently have. Good luck and keep us posted.

Archived