Hello! Would this work in your opinion?

ArmyCat23

First I must say that VENDiscuss is a great source for all sorts of information. I found this place by looking for more information on a "bagel" business that I read about in a book "Freakonomics". Anyways, I have had this idea for quite some time and I am so glad I found this site. Hopefully you all can help and push me in the right direction. My idea is pretty simple. (apologizing now for one long paragraph, for some reason it is not letting me hit enter and make new paragraphs) I am already partnered with a nationally branding charity so that is good. I would like to get a lot of nice acrylic boxes with locks on the money section, I would also like to have about 100 mints in each one and place them all over my city at high traffic spots, preferably fast food places, etc, and ask for a quarter each. My cost is a little under 10 cents each per mint and I have a set amount I donate monthly regardless of how much I bring in. Do you think this would work? Are businesses likely to allow this? Any suggestions on a nice looking acrylic box/lock set up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First I must say that VENDiscuss is a great source for all sorts of information. I found this place by looking for more information on a "bagel" business that I read about in a book "Freakonomics". Anyways, I have had this idea for quite some time and I am so glad I found this site. Hopefully you all can help and push me in the right direction. My idea is pretty simple. (apologizing now for one long paragraph, for some reason it is not letting me hit enter and make new paragraphs) I am already partnered with a nationally branding charity so that is good. I would like to get a lot of nice acrylic boxes with locks on the money section, I would also like to have about 100 mints in each one and place them all over my city at high traffic spots, preferably fast food places, etc, and ask for a quarter each. My cost is a little under 10 cents each per mint and I have a set amount I donate monthly regardless of how much I bring in. Do you think this would work? Are businesses likely to allow this? Any suggestions on a nice looking acrylic box/lock set up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This will work but you will not be able to place boxes in fast food restaurants or chain accounts but there are plenty of locations, you just have to find them.

You can place them in chain accounts, but its unlikely they will last long, due to a regional manager, or someone of the nature. Thats one of those "enjoy it while it lasts" things. I have one mint box in a chain place, does $45-60 a month, i always wait for that call to come get it. My humble opinion, dont try and build on those types of accounts, but rather hunt out mom and pop type places. Also, your cost per mint seems a bit high (40%), you may want to reconsider your sales price to absorb the loss. If you havent yet, look at the revenue reports, treadmill has a wonderful thread on mint boxes

Bbeck, what kind of mints do you use? I was thinking about using York Pepermint Patties or something similar???

$45-$60 a month on one box is good. Can you not get in more of those chain stores?

I obviously have my expectations too high as I was really hoping to get to 100 mint boxes around city (Lexington), and service them all once/twice a month. Is that even possible?

Thanks for the replies!

Im not sure how big lexington is, but 100 mint boxes doesnt seem to far fetched in a city thats a decent size. As far as the mints, i use york (costco), and i WISH i could get into more of those chain accounts. I have a bar, and small mexican place that do the same as the chain location though, so id rather go for the mon and pop places. If i could get a set in stone contract with chain locations, oh yeah, id go for it :-). Id like to get more locations, but have been really busy at my full time job, and want to use the same locator treadmill does. I just cant commit to a large amount of locations right now.

That's cool bro! I sent treadmill a direct message in regards to the locator he uses. Do you know where they are located? He is $22.50 a location, right? I work 30 hours a week as well as go to school full time but my wife would help out a lot too. I am actually ready to get going right this second if I could find the right people to help me locate. I also have to find some good acrylic boxes, might just use the same that tredmill uses honestly. I have a membership at Sams Club so I imagine they are cheaper price wise compared to price I quoted earlier that I found on Amazon. Also, Lexington, KY is a nice sized city of around 300,000 and tons and I mean TONS of businesses so actually 100 locations is nothing!

That price per location sounds about right, but i cant say for sure. A city that size, id think 100 locations would be easy. If youre in need of the right person to do locating, i think treadmills guy would be it. I mean, im sure there are a lot if good in person locators out there, but from what has been posted, he looks like he really goes after it.

Archived