Looking for a change

DaveLedo

Hello all, I have been reading these forums for quite a bit now and I am feeling pretty confident that I want to take the plunge into Honor Box Vending. I am married with 4 children and a new grandson less than a week old. I'm looking for any tips and advice to get me going. This is something that I would like to do full time. I have read both the positives and negatives on here and it does seem that the positives do outweigh the negatives as long as the hard work is willing to be put in.

Now I know that with each account comes different sets of possible issues. I am very much one to look at the big picture and look at overall averages and not get discouraged with some accounts that may not perform as well as some others may. Seeing that I am a bottom line type of person, my question is this, on average is it possible that each box could generate a net of 30 dollars every 4 week period? Is that too high, too low or maybe where it should be?

Any and all comments, even constructive ones would be welcomed with great appreciation. If there are any out there who may be up to take a phone call sometime perhaps that would be great as well. Thanks for taking the time to read this nd hope to get to know some of you Honor Box vets and rookies.

Dave

I don't know if you read the thread by Dennis23 about his venture into honor boxes. If not it is highly recommended. Dennis is our resident honor box guru. He's been doing it for years. Any questions you may have you might want to send him a PM and I'm pretty sure if he has the time he would converse with you.

Seeing that I am a bottom line type of person, my question is this, on average is it possible that each box could generate a net of 30 dollars every 4 week period? Is that too high, too low or maybe where it should be?

Dave

Possible? Yes. Realistic? I don't think so. But it's not off by much. If you can keep COG around 20%-23% and product loss at 15% or less I think a realistic goal to shoot for is $20/month net. The account average on $20 net would be $40 gross - which is in and of itself well above average and only attainable by constantly culling low-performers + a little bit of luck.

But this is just based on my service area - your mileage may vary.

Good luck Dave!

30-40 gross is about right, if ur doing $1 per item, again is an average some accounts will be great some will be lousy

just gotta keep moving the boxes around until you hit where u want to be at. are u good at sales? if ur not good at sales and not prepared to become good forget it.

Dave,

The money will be there. I wouldn't even worry about that. People have made money at this for decades, and you'll be no different..

- What you do need to worry about is being self-conscious.. People will give you the strangest, rudest looks.. like they can't believe what they're seeing.. a person is walking in to a business with a box of candy or whatever seems to be something they can't help but watch.. you can't let it get to you.. and it may sound like "who cares if someone stares at me?" but after your 10th old person sitting at a business watching you with a confused and pissed off look on their face it can start to annoy you..

- Be prepared to lose lots of locations.. I'd say you lose atleast 25% within the first month.. and 25% more within 3 months.. the remaining 50% will stay longer.. but you always lose spots... the reasons vary, but the best one I heard was they wanted my honor box removed "for safety reasons".. (they claimed a child could potentially choke on our candy - candy that's been sold for like a century?)

- I would align with a charity.. it'll make locating easier, and if you service enough spots you'll always get at least one person asking what it's supporting.. contact your state government and find out what the rules are regarding charitable support agreements where you live..

- Don't pay a locator. You'll always be limiting yourself to someone else's schedule, and not to mention spending a few months profit up front.. don't bother locating medical offices, banks, fast food places.. stick mostly to mom and pop places and I actually find businesses run by latino families are the nicest to approach and I don't speak a word of Spanish..

Good luck with the venture!

Florida u do penny candy boxes or fullsize snack boxes because it makes a diff, the locsbu said to avoid are some of the best for fullsize snack boxes

dogcow is right.

If you're doing fullsize snack boxes that are intended to go in employee break rooms, then medical places and such would be great..

I do candy that sits like beside cash registers, or on tables in the client areas of businesses..

I've never bothered with dentist offices obviously.. but I've never gotten a yes from any medical type place.. ever.. so I just don't even bother..

dogcow is right.

If you're doing fullsize snack boxes that are intended to go in employee break rooms, then medical places and such would be great..

I do candy that sits like beside cash registers, or on tables in the client areas of businesses..

I've never bothered with dentist offices obviously.. but I've never gotten a yes from any medical type place.. ever.. so I just don't even bother..

How much do you charge for your candy? Are your boxes the tall 2 side boxes?

Archived