Young Employees

flipside

I'm a  15 year old vendor, as many of you know. A few kids I know down the block have heard I'm in vending and want to do to get involved (they like the sound of quarters)

Threy wanted me to sell them a machine, but I told them that maybe we could come up with a way for them to work for me. They can't drive (and their parents won't want to)

How can I utilize them? Should I make them locators (pay them flat for each location)

should I make them servicers, or maybe both and give them a percentage of the profits. I feel like I should give them a shot (after all, I was them 6 months ago), but I also worry that they'll lose intrest and I'll be stuck w/ locations I can't service or something. This post is getting long so I'll sum it up. How can I get these 3 involved and still make it work to my advantage?

Philip

I would politely them that you dont need help with your route.

if you sell them a machine they become your competitor.

if you hire them to help service your route,which you shouldn`t need help unless u have hundreds of machines, some of your guarters may disapear.if your friend aren`t tempted  by your quaters u will end up splitting profit that already is low unless again  have many machines.

if u hire them as locaters again u will be giveing up profit for no reason unless u don`t feel capable of locateing or unless they can assure u they can get u in a place u dont think u can get in.

I would tell them that it`s not very profitable and that it takes up to much time.in other words I would try to help them lose intrest,in the end u will lose if they start vending.

Phil (I hope it's OK if I call you that.)

Ask them why they would want a bunch of quarters when they can have $15 straight up if they secure a decent location for you.  Maybe that will get them motivated and get you a few locations.  But explain the basics of locating to them (ie: look professional, act politely, don't burn any bridges, etc).  And make sure they know it's your machine they are locating, and you get the $ from it.

And just an FYI: No one cares about your route more than you, so it may be harder than you think to get them involved, and have a POSSITIVE effect on yout business.  Just something to think about.

I would go the locator route. Explain it all to them and provide them with some type of info/sales letter to help them get a location. Explain how this business is hard work at times and this locating "training" is a very important part of it. Advise them to save the money you pay them for locating to buy their own machine if they are serious. I would not discourage them but give them the chance to see if they will really stick with it. Sure they can grow to be competition to you or maybe down the road they might be a business partner. Chances are they will not stick with it but being a mentor to them will give you expierence to use later in life.

I am 16 years old, started vending when I was 15. My friends found out that I was "the guy that owns the vending machines" and they all wanted to help me out. So this is my advise, don’t let them get involved with you company, your company is your company and like G-man said "No one cares about your route more than you".  If you get your friends to locate some machines for you I will guarantee you that they will not be professional and they will not know what to say when they are asked question by future clients. If they do end up finding some location then the are going to think it is easy, and they are going to buy there own machine and then they are going to become your competition. 

Exactly, the only time i have people help me out with my Route is when I am away for the hockey season, and even then i dont have my friends help, i have my parents stock and collect, becuase they know that i do and how to act professional. If you really care about your route, than IMO you should nicely tell them that you dont need any help.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate the input. Everthingyou said makes a lot of sence, and I think I will "mind my own business" for now.

But If I ever have 100 machines and need several locators, I'll know where to go.

Thanks guys!

You younger venders are rare. Most teens won’t a check they can blow not a check they need to reinvest. I know I owned a few business in my time (all sold for more then I invested). I owned a baseball card shop by the time I was 14. I started selling gum, cards, candy, and other stuff out of my locker (BIG NO NO) and worked up to my own store. I loved that store tell I joined the US ARMY. I don't like sports but when I was younger baseball cards were worth money.

I had friends try to follow in my foot prints and they bombed. I even sold them the stuff for little more then I paid and they still bombed. I did everything I could to help them. They are not ready for the real world.

At your age the things on most kids minds are Girls, Cars, Girls, Drinking, Girls, Drugs, Girls, When is the next party, Girls, and Guys if were talking Girls. I know not everyone thinks this way but most are so occupied with one of these items that they can not focus on a business. Sure they can go to work for a fast food place but they can use there money on GIRLS or something else. They don't won’t to reinvest.

Sell them the machine. Shut sell them the machine at one of your slowest locations that you are thinking about pulling. Watch how fast it empties out and then offer to buy it back. You make money, they get the idea that its hard work, and you don't have to worry about them any more. The other thing that I would suggest, don’t brag about what you do to kids your own age. Yes you need to be proud of your self (as this whole forum is proud of you). Just let adults know what you do and see if they can help find a spot for your machine. When you become an adult and see some kid trying to make a life for themselves we instantly won’t to jump in and help. Use that help to your advantage. You will go far in life.

Good luck.

Keep your route to yourself for a while learn all you can about the business and learn about running businesses in general. You can reinvest your money a little at a time now and as your company grows you can then think about help........ But only when you actually need help.