Vend Trak

dperry

Ok, I have my own web based mysql database driven vending accounting program.  I started developing it in 2006 when I got into vending.  I'm pretty much satisified with it. 

However,

I had a scare today when I went to check my reports, and found that i had a big chunk of missing data. Some of the data was missing from some of my tables.  I'm concerned that my linux PC that runs the web/mysql DB is having hardware issues.

With that in mind I decided I wanted a more secure way of keeping my records.  I opted to extend my account with Vend-Trak.  My trail time had expired, so I went and extended it for the $45.99 amount. 

I'm in there adding locations and such, and then all of a sudden, I can't go anywere on the site.  I'm getting "Page cannot be found" every link I try.

Is this normal behavior?  Does this site go down all the time?  If so, I think I might be wanting my money back.

Darryl have you sent in for support. Jeremy is pretty good at checking and getting back. (sometimes a little slower then others, deployed overseas)

I found their server slow this morning but fine now. There is an update schedule for September I believe. And of course it could always be your ISP. But to answer your question No, page not found is not a common error, but does happen. I also have this problem with Vendiscuss and haven't eliminated all reasons but could be my internet provider. (uses DP inspections and their DNS servers have some problems)

Darryl,

I agree with Grumpy. Your issue is not a common one but do get in touch with either Jeremy or Josh. They are very pro-active when it comes to customer concerns.

Steve

I've noticed a pattern with this now, since it's happened again.

When I am updating a location, that's when I'll get the issue.  Once that happens, I can't do anyting, so I have to start again from a fresh link.  Once I do that and log in again, I'm good.

This sounds like a bug.

I can also see some ideas for improvement, like uploading csv listings for data that I don't want to add in one by one.

Darryl,

First of all, thank you for giving Vend-Trak a spin!  I hope that it meets your needs as it has for hundreds of other users. 

Secondly, thank you for posting your questions and issues here.  We try to respond quickly to all questions, but sometimes the VENDiscuss users are even faster!  (thanks Steve and grump!). 

Thirdly, I appreciate your feedback and suggestions.  Vend-Trak has grown a lot over the last three years; and many of our additions, fixes, and improvements have come directly from our users.  I would be interested in hearing more specifics on the problem you were having with updating locations.  You can post it here or send it to info@vend-trak.com (or use the Contact Us link when you've logged in).  This will ensure that both Josh and I both get the details immediately.

And lastly, we'd love to hear your "ideas for improvement" that you have since they will benefit all of our users as well.  We are currently working on Version 3.0 that is due to come out later this year (though we don't have a specific date yet) that incorporates many of the user-submitted suggestions we have recieved.

Thanks, and happy vending!

Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply.

I have encountered this issue more than once now, and I've only used it for a day.  So I think this may qualify as a bug.

When I enter the information for a location, and update it, it takes me back to the same location information page.  If I hit Update again without making any changes, this seems to break my links and I get "Page not found" for every link I try.  I suspect I got logged out somehow.  If I start from my main link again and log in again, I'm ok.

Hi Darryl, I just tried your exact description for entering a new location and all is fine here for me. Are you using IE or Fire Fox? If Fire Fox use IE only, as Fire Fox still has some compatibility issues.

I use IE.

I should say that this doesn't happen each time. 

I think I may know what the problem is.  This seems to happen when I create a new location with a name of a location that is already in the DB.

BTW, how do you delete a location.  When I have situations like this where I created a location that is a duplicate, I can't seem to delete it.

Just guessing but it should have an auto unique number, to differentiate it from other records. but it could have filters locked on the names so if the name is the same it will not allow you to delete both. Actually delete is not delete in Vend-Trak it is a hide (un-check Location in service below Location Type), so if you really do not want that record rename it to a new location. The same is in routes, you only hide them not delete them.

I apologize for the delayed response.  I've been having trouble getting onto the new site (problem on my end, though).  Thank you, grumpy, for stepping in and helping out.

There is no restriction on duplicate location names.  Each location does have a unique ID that Vend-Trak uses to track the location.  And, correct, locations aren't permanently "deleted" - this is to ensure data integrity, so nothing is lost.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have trouble at times logging into Ventrak? Sometimes I log in and I wait and wait and wait for the front page with the calendar to fully load onto the screen. I have a brand new computer that is very fast.