Vending advice

newvend

Hi all,

I am looking to get into the vending business.I currently work in pharmaceutical sales at the moment however I was thinking of trying to get a job with a vending company first,and it just so happens that I saw a job advert recently.

Would first working with a vending company be a good idea and a good start..?

The only problem is that when I go to start up on my own I will be approaching existing customers and even people that would have turned me down whilst I was working with the vending company I would have worked for.

Alternatively ,should i just remain in my pharmaceutical job and just start placing vending machines part time and work from there..? Doing this way I do realsie I would miss out on tading tips, business knowledge etc

Can anyone offer me any advice on this and what would be the best route to take for someone in my position..?

Thanks everbody, looking forward to the advice.

• 8 months later...

I'm new to vending too.....I rode with a guy wanting to sell his route and learned alot.....nothing beats hands on.....doesn't take too long to learn.....I am going to buy his snack route soon....I bought a few bulk candy machines and will try to place them myself or in the same locations as the snack machines I will get...kill 2 birds w/ 1 stop!

Andrew

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I am looking to get into the vending business.I currently work in pharmaceutical sales at the moment however I was thinking of trying to get a job with a vending company first,and it just so happens that I saw a job advert recently.

Would first working with a vending company be a good idea and a good start..?

That is ALWAYS a great idea if you can find a company and make a living while working for them.  This will give you a lot of experience on a wide range of machines

The only problem is that when I go to start up on my own I will be approaching existing customers and even people that would have turned me down whilst I was working with the vending company I would have worked for.

That is true and you might have to be careful with approaching previous customers of your employer.  Not sure how common it is in the industry, but it wouldn't surprise me that you might have to sign a non-compete clause as a condition of hire.

Alternatively ,should i just remain in my pharmaceutical job and just start placing vending machines part time and work from there..? Doing this way I do realsie I would miss out on tading tips, business knowledge etc

Alot of people start out part-time and do just fine...as you have to realize that more then 1/2 of your total sales will be put back into the business to pay for the goods, repairs, new machines, repairs....and did I mention repairs.  Finding a place that you can service after your normal working hours or on weekends would be a great way to test the waters while still having a safety net of a full time job.  At some point you will expand to a point that you will have to make that hard decision to fly without a parachute, or stay at a self-managing level and just earn additional income on the side (which is not a bad deal either).

Travis