Please help - how does this baseball card machine work?

whitewolfe001

Hi folks,  I just joined because I need help figuring out how to work this machine I bought.  I am hoping someone here knows something about this thing!

I bought it from Ebay, not for a vending business, but to dispense fortunes!  I am building a fortune teller machine.  (It will be used for an event this fall, and then go to a permanent home in my friend's oddities museum.)  I racked my brain over how to dispense individual fortunes.  I considered rolling them up and getting a tampon machine, or a straw dispenser... when I saw this baseball card machine, I thought it would be perfect.  

So I just got it yesterday, and I can't figure out how it works exactly.  Here is the Ebay listing with pictures: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-cent-Baseball-Card-Sports-Card-Machine-Gum-candy-vending-dispenser-30-NR-/231025847014?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=rc1Nnt4ysDvPb5cap88%252B8uQ60vI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I had assumed it was designed for little packs of cards, but the dispensing slot is very very very narrow.  So I think it's supposed to dispense cards individually.  

But I'm trying all sorts of different size cards, cut-up cover stock, business cards, etc. and just can't get the dispensing to work.  

There is a blue plate you can see in the picture that backs up, and then shoots forward.  There is a tiny metal inflexible 'tooth' at the front of the slot which looks like it's supposed to allow only one card through at a time. 

Am I missing something???

I could upload a video if that would be helping in trying to understand how it functions.  

The right mechanism is turned a bit, so if it's not turning back to the home position (where you can insert a quarter and use) then it might be jammed.  I would try taking the coin mechanism out and seeing if there is a quarter stuck in it or if it's just gummed up.  Once you get the mech working, check the gears or whatever it is that dispenses the product and see if there's a jam there.

Yeah, the right one isn't working. I'm not concentrating on that right now, I knew it needed adjustment... plus I thought I could put signs for different kinds of fortunes, like "Positive Fortunes"... "Truthful Fortunes - Out of Order".  :)  

I have managed to get the left two to dispense a card *sometimes*.  Putting a rock inside on top of the cards seemed to help provide weight & friction for the sliding plate to grab and push a card out, but it's still really inconsistent. 

Yes, I read somewhere about the sleeves.... i went to the aaglobal website but I can't find them??  help! 

the turning mechanism on the left one is really sticky.  Do you have to take it apart to oil it?  

If you can't tell, I'm kind of in over my head with my project...  :)  

You should have weights pushing the cards down. Like mentioned, you will need the sleeves to vend properly.  Give A&A a call at:  1-800-638-6000.  If they can't help you, try Flatline at:  877-499-3528.

Both are great companies and will do their best to help you find the right sleeves for your machine.

The mech may need to be lubricated, but I couldn't say unless I saw it taken out of the machine.

thanks orsd.  

I just contacted AAGlobal and they said they do have the sleeves, but they say they are 3.5 x 4.  

My card slot is only about 2.5 x 4.   

now I'm really confused.  argh.  

I'm wishing I had bought a capsule vending machine instead!

Archived