Advice for Newbie Starting Off

casey259

As someone who is a newbie here. I have been reading and soaking up a ton of information as I rather have a great initial starting plan versus jumping into the waters without a life jacket of sorts. If you were starting off this venture making it only part-time (servicing on the weekends), what machines and candy would you suggest. Machines being single, double, triple head. On a stand or without? Just gumballs, just candy, or a combination of the two? Any other machines worth noting for a new person? 

Any advice from new people to the pros on here are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have been changing up my business model lately.  I started with triples and I quickly learned that it wasn't the best choice for every location I had.  For a couple of locations 3 selections wasn't enough, but for most it was overkill.  I'm moving into more doubles with either gumballs or toy capsules and a candy/gumball head.  You have to use your best judgement to decide what's appropriate for each location you get into and the clients may request a specific product.  For candy:  Peanut M&Ms, Mike and Ikes, Skittles and Reese's Pieces are my most commonly filled because they sell well.  I also use Dubble Bubble gumballs and toy capsules for the restaurants and other children-frequented locations.

If I were you, I'd buy either:  AA, Oak or Eagle machines and yes, provide stands.  I don't have any locations with machines sitting on a counter-top, all are freestanding.  Some locations may allow a single to sit on their counter, just make sure you have the suction cups attached to avoid getting the machine knocked off the counter.

Best of luck on your new venture!

This is good info. I have been reading more and more that triples are overkill with doubles being a happy medium. Like you said though its all a out the location. Which locations did best with the triple?

This is good info. I have been reading more and more that triples are overkill with doubles being a happy medium. Like you said though its all a out the location. Which locations did best with the triple?

Bowling alley, large Chinese restaurant/buffet (not typical of a restaurant, but when the waitresses get bored, they like to snack, so it does well there), truck stop, pet store, bars/taverns (almost always great for candy/peanuts).

Don't even mess with candy. Go straight to 1" capsuled toys at 50 cents, don't mess with 2" stuff, and get some 2 or 4 column flat machines selling temp tattoos at 50 cents. A 6 way rack with 3 heads of 1" capsule toys all at 50 cents and a 4 column flat selling 50 cent tattoos up top is a great combination for most places.

Don't even mess with candy. Go straight to 1" capsuled toys at 50 cents, don't mess with 2" stuff, and get some 2 or 4 column flat machines selling temp tattoos at 50 cents. A 6 way rack with 3 heads of 1" capsule toys all at 50 cents and a 4 column flat selling 50 cent tattoos up top is a great combination for most places.

From what you have seen what would be the revenue difference between let's say a 1 head 1" capsuled toy machine versus a 1 head candy machine? Thanks for the feedback too!

It depends on the location. A place where adults are the only ones waitin around is goin to do better with candy and a restaurant or barber shop with kids toys will do great. It all depends on the location. But if a candy and toy head is in say a restaurant for me it sells toys at least 2 to 1.

From what you have seen what would be the revenue difference between let's say a 1 head 1" capsuled toy machine versus a 1 head candy machine? Thanks for the feedback too!

As adog said, it depends on location. But toys do surprisingly well in places you wouldn't expect. I even manage to sell a little mystery mix in a Walmart breakroom. I assume employees buy it for their kids. And the right toy can be marketed to adult markets. Mustaches can sell very well in adult markets.

• 2 weeks later...

My original plan is to locate single head RB16 with m&ms plain candy for 50 cent per vend at shopping mall, hypermarket and some other targeted busy places where adult and kids visit . But after reading comments and review from the forums , i have mixed feeling now about the suitable product for the machine ( candy vs gumball vs toys )  . By the way, l haven’t owned any machine yet at this moment but I’m in mid of purchase one from Beaver to test market for bulk candy machine at my area.

My original plan is to locate single head RB16 with m&ms plain candy for 50 cent per vend at shopping mall, hypermarket and some other targeted busy places where adult and kids visit . But after reading comments and review from the forums , i have mixed feeling now about the suitable product for the machine ( candy vs gumball vs toys )  . By the way, l haven’t owned any machine yet at this moment but I’m in mid of purchase one from Beaver to test market for bulk candy machine at my area.

I think you are outside the U.S.

So, some of what you are reading regarding toys-vs-candy may not apply directly to your market.

It's is wise to do as you say and "test market".

This way you experience exactly what is best in your region since it could vary widely from what we experience in the U.S. market.

The logistics of what you pay and how readily you can buy whatever you decide to stock in your machines should also play a role in determining what's best for you to sell....what may be easy and cheap for me to buy may not be so for you (and vice versa).

Archived