Powder Coat

Nick505

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I was using a chemical stripper, It really works great but is a MAJOR mess, and pain in the butt. I did that on one and then the 4 pictured I cleaned with windex, and sprayed powder over the old red paint....Not a problem doing this at all. 

I thought that the item to be sprayed had to be completely taken down to the bare metal to get the powder paint to adhere to it before being placed into the oven?  This is one of the reasons why i haven't messed with powder coating, because i didn't want to deal with stripping all the old crap of the machine bodies.  

I thought that the item to be sprayed had to be completely taken down to the bare metal to get the powder paint to adhere to it before being placed into the oven? This is one of the reasons why i haven't messed with powder coating, because i didn't want to deal with stripping all the old crap of the machine bodies.

That's what I thought as well. I am no professional but it has been working for me to just coat right over the old finish. Of course I clean it thoroughly first. I scuff the metal where the grounding clip will be placed. The powder sometimes has a difficult time sticking on some parts but with a little shaking of the sprayer while spraying powder on you can get it to stick. I have never had a problem completely covering anything and it has always come out just like you would expect from a professional shop.

powder coated my first machine today.  encouraged by the possibility of not having to take machines down to bare metal i gave it a whirl.  the spots where i had sanded to bare metal to rid rust looked great but the sections with paint looked terrible.  so gonna take machines down to bare metal from now on with aircraft remover and clean off with acetone.  the difference might be in the powder i was using, a metal flake red.  got to get back to servicing and placing machines tomorrow but will attempt to powder coat some more this weekend.

Let me add that I am powder coating on top of powder (not spray paint). I will add a pic of some finished machines that were not stripped down. I did the whole chemical stripper and it's a major pain in the golpher. I would rather use spray paint then go through the process of stripping the machines to metal. Also if you do use the paint stripper make sure to clean very thoroughly after and also to bake the clean metal in the oven for 20 minutes to burn off any of the oils and stripper you have missed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried the yellow looks nothing like pic on website and having a few other problems. Whole process is just to time consuming for me. Back to good 'ole faithful rattle can for now. Anybody want a deal on a Eastwood gun, and a couple different powders let me know.

Archived