Seaga 2500 issue

SkydiverBC

I have a Seaga HF2500 (yes, I know....), with a slot 4 can motor that turns when selection 3 is pushed. Selection 3 also vends when 3 is pushed. I can't figure out what the problem might be. The limited selection of this unit is bad enough, but losing one can slot is not making it any better. I have unplugged the wires from #4 motor and have product in 4 slots instead of 5. I called Seaga technical support (Ha!) and they tried to sell me a $1000+ motherboard. I would rather leave the slot empty than invest that kind of money into an already crappy machine.

Any thoughts as to a solution?

Are you sure it's an HF2500 and not an HF3500?  The 3500 has 5 serpentine can selections.  The problem could be in the 3 or 4 motor, in the wiring harness with a bad diode (horrible design putting a diode into the harness) or in the logic board.  The first thing to try is a motor and you can remove a snack motor (all motors are the same in a 3500) and plug it in to 4 to see if it runs when 3 is vended.  If this still happens then try the snack motor plugged into 3 with the original 4 motor plugged in.  If vending 3 still runs 4 at the same time then you probably have a bad logic board.  I can't believe it's price is $1000 now, but I do know that they never repair their board and only sell them to vendors.  I can check for you as I have an account with them and might get a better price on the board. 

You may have a bad ribbon strip behind the touch pad. They go bad quite often. If you have another 2500 you could swap one that works with the one that doesn't to confirm or eliminate this as the problem.

The top half is a 2500 (2 trays), I believe the 2500 and 3500 use the same can layout. I will try a motor swap and see if that helps. I have no other seaga's to try swapping out parts. Thanks for your help.

It has been quite a while since this problem originally happened. I simply left that slot empty. After reading the advice posted here, I played with it again a few days ago. The motor has been disconnected for several months. I hooked it back up again and attempted to test the motor. It did not turn and the panel displayed a "fail" on the motor test. I tried replacing the motor and the same "fail" occurred. I forgot my multi-meter that day, so I was unable to test for any voltages in the connecting wires. 

I also replaced the florescent light (that used a bulb that I could not find a replacement for and Seaga does not support a replacement part for the light) with 6 feet of flexible LED strip lights from Costco. I cut off the end of the power supply plug that connected to the florescent light and replaced it with an extension cord plug. I then plugged the new lights into the new connection and applied the lights around the window of the snack compartment. It looks great and cost $20 bucks for the lights. I'm thinking of doing the same thing in my USI glass front combo unit.

The light bulb not being available from Seaga is a typical complaint about them in that they do not support their machines very well.  When a good motor shows "fail" during a test or a vend that means the logic board is bad.  You also won't get any usable voltage readings from the motor as they are all at the logic level. 

1. Do you still have the original problem you described with it vending motor 4 when 3 is vended? 
  2. Do any other 4 motors run at that time or just jog part way? 
  3. If you leave the 4 soda motor connected and vend a 3 selection from a snack shelf, does any motor 4 run? 

If so, you might have a bad 3 or 4 motor on another shelf that is feeding back into the logic board. I can send you a new motor to begin testing in various positions if you have either of the symptoms listed.

The associated vending of adjacent motors does not seem to be occurring anymore. I tried vending motors 3 & 5 and they both vended properly. Motor 4 did not move. Any tests of number 4 simply causes a "Fail". So the original problem does not seem to be a problem anymore, no I have a motor that will not respond. I have tried a different motor and it failed as well.

I saw a "working well" HF2500 for sale in Vancouver for $150. No reply to my inquiry yet, but I figured for that kind of price, it would make a good parts unit.

If you can find a good working machine you should make sure you can run all it's motors or you could end up in the same boat as you're in now.  If you go into the service mode, do a motor count and it should display 25 motors (20 snack and 5 soda).  If you see less than that then it can be caused by an unplugged motor (especially on a snack shelf as the harness gets caught on motors on the lower shelf), a bad motor or a bad logic board.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I have a Seaga HF2500. My problem is when I do a motor count, it shows 0 ( even though there are motors. My motherboard was fixed a long time ago and it hasn't been used until now (that should be fine) . All wiring harnesses are not pinched or damaged in anyway and everything is plugged in properly. I called Seaga Support, they mentioned something about 2  red wires coming out of the top of the motherboard. I didn't see any red wires. I have 10 of these machines and don't remember 2 red wires?? Anyway, I'm at a loss, can anyone help?

Archived