New member -route valuation

dc9c1420

Hi all I am considering making an offer on this route, what would be a fair starting price? Any help would be great! Thanks!

I am selling my bulk vending business. It consists of 19 locations where 18 of them have machines and are making money now. The 19th location needs a new 5 column machine put in. Details of types of machines are below. I am open to price. Please, no low ball offers and serious inquiries only or else they will be ignored. Please contact me via email and if I deem you serious, we can speak on the phone.

Almost all of these machines are Northwestern unless noted below. I have a full set of keys and everything is ready to go. I added pics of the machine types so you know what they look like. Most of these locations are fast food restaurants, 1 laundromat, a liquor store, a jewelry store, and 2 high volume fruit markets. A few of the fast food locations are high volume too. The rest are steady and consistent in good times and bad.

Sales last year in 2013 was close to $12,000. I usually give plus or minus 30% cut to the business owner. Usually 20% is cost of product and the rest is profit. It varies from month to month because some places I go every month and others I go once every 3-6 months. SO these places in addison, gurnee, elgin, and carol stream are not monthly. You can go there once every 3 mo and at most 6 months. Monthly I usually go to about 5-6 places so its not a constant 19 locations a month and its a lot easier on the owner.

They are all 50 cent coin mechs on the 5 columns and the sticker machines and 25 below on the 5 columns(standard setup). It's profitable every month but I am no longer able to make the time commitment. Some of the places are obviously scattered (gurnee, elgin, carol stream, addison) but the majority are in close vicinity of each other. I counted about 33 machines in total. It's a great biz and it's profitable from day 1. I am incorporated and everything is legal. This is great for someone who wants to break into the business and have everything ready for you from day one and it is equally great for someone who is in the business and just wants to add to their route and collect on a profitable route too.

That ad reeks of a scam.

First of all what is a 5 column?  Is it a 5 way rack? Only having 33 machines in 18 locations does not add up to 5 of anything. 33 machines in 18 locations is mostly doubles and a few singles maybe. What are they vending? Toys or candy? Sticker and tattoos? 12K gross on 33 machines?  No way.  Not when you have a jewelry store and fruit markets.

Stay far far away.

I'm betting this route is a freaking goldmine.  The language suggests apathetic (but honest) ignorance.  I'd call and ask him/her what he feels a low-ball number would be.  If he refuses a number I'd hold his feet to the fire even more and remind him "you're the one wanting to sell something, what do you think it's worth?"

This reminds me of ads I see once in a blue-moon where somebody possibly inherited a route or had a spouse (who was really running the business) suddenly pass away, walked away after divorce, etc. and they honest to goodness don't know what it's worth.  Not only would I not run, I'd be picking up the phone immediately.  

Scams are more saavy that this.  

But you asked for a number "dc", so if the seller absolutely refuses a number (likely out of fear of either screwing themselves or being laughed off the phone) I'd say - typically I buy routes like this for 3 months gross so if you can prove the income how does $2,500 sound? You have to play the phone call by ear, but I have my best luck on the phone acting the exact opposite of what the seller is.  

If they ask what I mean by "COG" then I'm an expert who's bought dozens of routes and will walk them through the process.  If they are an experienced vendor then I act like a complete noob who would like to give this vending thing a try.  You'll find out REAL quick how honest they are.  

Good luck!  I'd love to hear a follow-up report to that phone call.   

Thanks for the responses, I forgot to include this as well...

I have extra inventory and machines to go along with this business also. I have:

5 column machine I removed from location 19,,,it's pretty beat up but it can be parted or refurbished easily. Not too difficult.

2 used 6 column sticker machines. These are the 3 on top of 3 black hard steel machines. (SAMPLE MACHINE PICTURED)

1 brand new 6 column sticker machine same as above that is still in the box. $600 new...

5-10 bulk toy boxes with displays of working inventory including 1" and 2" toys

50-80 boxes(Don't have exact count as of now) of 300ct sticker/tattoo boxes. These can be used as fillers and can be sold in the machines right now. Most of the stickers are older types that might not sell well and some still sells.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived