Video Arcade Vending

dperry

I am looking seriously into adding MegaTouch games to my Tattoo locations but I am seriously not knowing the ins-and-outs of the that side of the vending technology.  I was wondering if anybody knew of any other community resources like VENDiscuss, but with a greater focus on video game vending.

Unless somebody here has some experiences with this, I don't know if the VENDiscuss readers can help me in this area.

I need some place to help me with questions like:

Security:  How do I keep the game from being vandilized or stolen

Credit card operation:  How do I utilize that aspect of vending payments?

Bill collection: Is there something special I should know about this?  ie, will all bill acceptors take all the new currency?  If not, what do I need to upgrade?

What are the best models for my purposes?  Like I said, I am looking to place arcade machines in my tattoo locations.  I'm thinking of the megatouch countertop models, but maybe regular arcade machines might work too?

Any help would be appreciated.

Darryl,   Touch screens can make some decent money.  But they are expensive even used.  Also as I have said before you need foot traffic.  A Tatoo parlor in my opinion does not have that foot traffic.  Unless it is a pretty big operation.  Initially it would be cool to have in the shop.  Mostly employees would play.  Then after time play will decrease due to employees getting bored with the game.  I have two laundromats with brand new touch screens.  They average 100-to110 every two weeks.  Not so great.  I would do much better if I had them online.  But I don't see it worth while yet since I am only operating two.  Someday in the future though.  It would be interesting to see how it works out for you.  You never know until you try.  Good luck.

Zeke

• 2 weeks later...

I made the plunge and purchased a used Merit Megatouch Saphire machine for $450.  This is a brand new arena for me as I normally do just gumball vending.  I took the machine home to give it a good workout so that I could understand all the ins and outs of how the machine operates, how to set it up for the amount of credits per dollar/quarter, etc.

One thing that is a MAJOR change in the way I do business is the need to have State/county/city stickers.  I'm told that I have to pay the state $200 for the business license, and $60 for the seal.  Then once I have the state license and seal, I can pay $15 each for the county and city seals.  I'll need one seal from each for each machine I have on location.  These are renewed each year, so each year I operate it's $200 plus $90 per machine.  I understand that they prorate the costs after october, but I think I will wait until the next year before I get legal. 

I also understand from the seller that he paid 50% commission to the location.  This is something I was already aware of so I wasn't suprised with that.  What I didn't ask and I am wondering about now is how much can I expect to bring in per month with a good location.  What would be the minimum acceptable monthly income for such machine?  I know with gumball vending, there is a national average and then there's my own personal average.  The national average is about $0.25/day and my average is about $0.50/day.  I know that the amount of money my average machine makes in a month is about 1/6th the amount of the machine when purchased new.  So if I purchased the megatouch for $450, then I figure I can expect to be happy with $75/mo for my 50% of the take.  But is $150/mo gross income for such a machine really what I can expect?  It seems to me that in a good location that I can realize much more than that.

I've attached a picture of a model similar to the one that I have.

• 2 years later...

I made the plunge and purchased a used Merit Megatouch Saphire machine for $450.  This is a brand new arena for me as I normally do just gumball vending.  I took the machine home to give it a good workout so that I could understand all the ins and outs of how the machine operates, how to set it up for the amount of credits per dollar/quarter, etc.

One thing that is a MAJOR change in the way I do business is the need to have State/county/city stickers.  I'm told that I have to pay the state $200 for the business license, and $60 for the seal.  Then once I have the state license and seal, I can pay $15 each for the county and city seals.  I'll need one seal from each for each machine I have on location.  These are renewed each year, so each year I operate it's $200 plus $90 per machine.  I understand that they prorate the costs after october, but I think I will wait until the next year before I get legal. 

I also understand from the seller that he paid 50% commission to the location.  This is something I was already aware of so I wasn't suprised with that.  What I didn't ask and I am wondering about now is how much can I expect to bring in per month with a good location.  What would be the minimum acceptable monthly income for such machine?  I know with gumball vending, there is a national average and then there's my own personal average.  The national average is about $0.25/day and my average is about $0.50/day.  I know that the amount of money my average machine makes in a month is about 1/6th the amount of the machine when purchased new.  So if I purchased the megatouch for $450, then I figure I can expect to be happy with $75/mo for my 50% of the take.  But is $150/mo gross income for such a machine really what I can expect?  It seems to me that in a good location that I can realize much more than that.

I've attached a picture of a model similar to the one that I have.

How did the megatouch work out for you? I am considering adding megatouches to my vending business. did you locate these yourself or did you hire a locating company? How much money did you bring in each month on average? what other tips or advise could you give me or anyone else thinking about getting these machines?

How did the megatouch work out for you? I am considering adding megatouches to my vending business. did you locate these yourself or did you hire a locating company? How much money did you bring in each month on average? what other tips or advise could you give me or anyone else thinking about getting these machines?

• 2 months later...

when I was expanding my route I bought a few megatouch machines.I wasnt real succesful with them.the locations I found were slow.if any of my megatouches made $100 every 2 weeks I would have been thrilled.I still have 2 on my route and 2-3 more in my warehouse that will be replacemnts if either of the ones on my route break.having a dollar bill acceptor is almost a neccesity and will help make more money.depending on the age they can be upgraded to take newer bills.dollar bill acceptors go for fairly cheap on ebay.

to do the megatouches properly they will need to be upgraded to newer versions after a while.in some locations this may not be as important.in a laundry mat they will play whatever is there to pass the time while they wait.I dont know what averages video games have per month

Archived