RC800/850 randomly takes bills but no credit

I have a 800vending RC800/850 which has been taking bills and not showing any credit. It's of course, random.

I changed the bill acceptor out to another one and someone reported it did the same thing again.

I read that this could be a circuit board or wire issue. I have no idea where to get started or something like this. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

You say most machines - if I don't have this any other ideas? I'm going to take a picture of the unit's innards tomorrow and post up.

I replaced the bill changer with a brand new Pyramid reader and it's still happening.

Interesting story-

I replaced the main board and it was still doing it. At this point I had not replaced the cable but was still seeing the same thing with 3 validators.

I spent about 2 days and 4 hours in total at the Fortune offices (makers of the RC800) in CA and went over the issue several times. Eventually I just decided to take the ICT validator with the least known errors and had them recalibrate it and swapped the MDB cable. Oddly, the ICT validator that was taking bills often was completely in calibration. So either the cable was bad or the circuitry was fried in that reader. That doesn't explain why the Pyramid reader wasn't working (only reading $97-$98 for every $100 though (unless it was the cable).

So far I haven't had any trouble, but I'm not convinced I'm out of the woods.  

Weird stuff.

Archived