Question on whether my AP Snack machine can support an Eport CC reader

Yes, it is MDB, and can support the reader.  You have to cut a separate hole for that though, or mount it on the outside of the machine.  You should just get a Coinco reader, and it will fit over your validator front and give you a 2 in 1. 

You can use a new Coinco validator with a card reader bezel or change to a Mars and add their card reader bezel, but both options are fairly expensive if you have to buy a newer Coinco or Mars Validator and then the Mars Easitrax card reader bezel is the most expensive.

The cheapest card reader is the USAT model but it will require drilling at minimum 5 holes in the front of the door that could be hard to cover up if you ever remove the reader. This is because the LCM has no edge trim so you van never put a re-front kit on it that would cover the holes. If you cut a validator-sized hole in the door for the reader you could later use a validator blockoff plate to fill the hole, but the edges might be a little rough.

I have been using the USAT readers and they are fairly easy to install, although I forgot to use the smaller screws when I took out the spacer and shorted out one of the cc readers today.  The machine that is pictured is next to a DN 5591 that I put a USAT reader in today.

I have been using the USAT readers and they are fairly easy to install, although I forgot to use the smaller screws when I took out the spacer and shorted out one of the cc readers today.  The machine that is pictured is next to a DN 5591 that I put a USAT reader in today.

If you will notice on the serial number label of your box from USAT, there is a yellow warning sticker cautioning you to use the correct length screws for mounting the card reader depending on the number/type of spacer you use to mount it.  The label cautions to not use too long a screw or you will damage the card reader, as happened to you.  I only noticed the sticker by accident on a new G9 box as I have installed many of these card readers and not encountered that issue before.  I thing it's a change now that they have the G9 reader?  The warranty doesn't cover that which is too bad as this is a design flaw that, in my opinion, they should develop a workaround for.  I think it's pretty poor engineering to design something that isn't more "idiot proof" than that - no name calling here.

I did not notice the sticker on the side of the box before I had already made the mistake.  I suppose if I had stopped to think about the length of the screws and the fact that I was taking out the spacer then I would have not destroyed the credit card reader.  On the other hand it has been my experience that most receiving threads do not just keep going all the down to the board and you usually bottom out before you hit something that is fragile.

Yes, this is an unneeded shortcut in their manufacturing. The knurled nut inserts should have a dead end in them or there should be a plug molded into the plastic case to prevent that. That way a screw that is too long would bottom out and not tighten, causing a need for a shorter screw. I would bet that they discovered this problem only when people began returning their dead readers and instead of recalling them all they covered their ***es with a cop-out label.

I've had a similar problem with the newer style square condenser and evaporator motors when I screwed a bracket into the back of one and shorted out the motor with the screw.

Archived