The Brick Wall of Tele-Locating

Been thinking about these locators for a while...

It seems that every area will eventually hit the brick wall, especially with telemarketing locating.  I think we can all agree that different areas have different saturation levels.  So some areas may be a virtual oasis for bulk, while others have already turned into deserts, while other areas are about to turn into a desert.  It is inevitable that all oasis areas (low saturation) will ultimately turn into a desert (high saturation) some day.  The problem (as I see it) is that many locators don't really know what the saturation level is for any particular area until they start calling on the area.  Some locators have told me that they will no longer work my area even though they worked this area 10 years ago.

In any event, when a locator hits the brick wall, the locator has invested tons of time and money while essentially looking for fruit to pick in the desert and finding nothing.  The question is, who should pay for that time?   Well it turns out that all the low hanging fruit has all been picked or there is no fruit left to pick (based on their locating pitch and strategy).  Who should be on the hook for taking that risk?  Well, we vendors would unanimously say, the locator.  After all, the locator, a private business, should have known AND accepted the risk and the possibilities of hitting a really tough desert-like area.  So the locator should eat the cost - but we all know that rarely happens.

Not to downplay a serious problem.  But unfortunately, in many cases the locator turns into a "Horse with No Name" (sorry, could not resist!) and disappears down the "Ventura Highway" and passes on their cost of doing business to the vendor - yes the vendor, who is "Just Another Brick in the Wall" to the locator.  Thank goodness for web sites that expose shady locators.  But the vendor will always need to practice due diligence on locators for those sites to be useful.

Well you Placed Your Machines and started a business if one got stolen its on you not the customer/ location

When you entered the location there is the risk you accepted

Same with the locator

When he took you money he accepted the risk of your area being a wall

If he realized it was a wall he could have given a refund

Same if your machine s got stolen

You could choose not to put another in

Well you Placed Your Machines and started a business if one got stolen its on you not the customer/ location

When you entered the location there is the risk you accepted

Same with the locator

When he took you money he accepted the risk of your area being a wall

If he realized it was a wall he could have given a refund

Same if your machine s got stolen

You could choose not to put another in

Agreed!  Every business has risks and there in no guarantee things will go well.  Every business owner must accept that and bear the responsibility when things go wrong.

Love the America song references Jax! Well played!

Thanks Hippo.  Always enjoyed communicating via metaphors and lyrics.  It can get to the point real fast.

Another funny thing.  Not long after posting that, I was flipping though the channels,  America was hosting a 70's sound track CD set from Time Life.  Kinda weird.

Archived