Help with pop compressor

psk007

Installed a new account today and when I plugged in the pop machine the overload relay kept kicking out. The machine had came out of another location and had ran just fine. The compressor looked real clean and it was installed new back in 2011. I talked to my tech and he said that the compressor was probably bad. I thought no way that compressor is bad. So I pulled the compressor out and took it back to my shop where I installed a 3 in 1 start relay. It fired right up and the compressor kicked on just fine. My problem is where do the temp control wires hook up. If I hook them up to the 3 in 1 it throws my breaker in the shop. So what am missing? It's been a long time since I have done any compressor work so I'm a little rusty. Any help on this would be great. Thanks

The cold control doesn't actually connect to the cooling unit at all.  It is wired into the junction where the compressor plugs into the machine in the lower left corner of the cabinet.  Actually, you didn't state what model machine this is but the compressor will still simply plug into a junction box that distributes power through the machine.  The wires from that junction then go to the thermostat.

One of the conductors from the compressor plug goes to one side of the fan and one side of the hard start input (black wires).  The other conductor goes to the other side of the fan and the other hard start input wire.  That's all you connect.  Since you removed the original start relay, start capacitor and overload, there will be no other wires to connect.

Are you screwing with a USI unit?

OMG. Someone still using a Rockola!  Think of the thermostat wiring this way: only one leg of power to the cooling unit will go through the thermostat because you are only turning one leg on and off to complete the power circuit to the unit.  If the thermostat is mounted to the cooling unit and wired into it then of the two conductors bringing power to the unit, one will branch off and go through the thermostat and back to continue on to the cooling unit to continue on to power the compressor and fan. 

Makes since for some reason I cut that cord that plugged into the pop machine junction box and used the cord to hook up my 3 in 1 relay on my work bench. Man I must be tired. Thanks you so much for your help.

Archived