Seeking Mars 540/1 Interface Information

cybertheque

I have a bunch of MEI 540/1 110VAC four-price changers, with 8-pin jones plug, which I would like to test on the bench.  I am familiar with the wiring for the 5930AH four-price changer (24VAC) but the 540/1 uses SCRs or triacs on its price lines - not sure which due to house numbers - and which measure some 50 VAC and 24 VDC to common on those lines while the 5930AH uses relays and have no open circuit voltage on the lines. I was able to find a rather complete circuit description for the 5900 series in a patent grant available online but have not found any documentation for the 540.

I tried jumpering jones plug pin 6 to 2 (or 1) to enable acceptance but coins are rejected. The coin tube dumping switches do work however. The changers may all be bad but it would be good to have a description of what is needed on the connector to permit coin acceptance for testing purposes (short of a test set).

I do not have a vending machine that uses the 540 for testing.

I had hoped to find something at http://archive.org for various old MEI URLs but the archived pages had no download links for manuals until after 2007 and those were all for much newer mechs.

All help much appreciated.

I'm sure that the only manuals to include a wiring diagram for a Cashflow 540 were directed at repair depots only.  As of 2011 the Cashflow coin mechs had already been out of production for over a year and back in 2011 MEI was warning vendors that parts supplies were drastically low.  Even if you could diagnose a problem you might not be able to find any parts to repair them with unless you salvaged them from your own coin mechs.  If you don't have any machine that uses this coin mech then what is your impetus to repair them?  Aftermarket resale?  Do you even have a bench tester to put these on?  You should only need one of the old bench testers that was used for single price, 4 price and 10 price mechs.  Why not find one of those to test them with?

Thanks for the reply. These are not Cashflow 540 but instead are "Mars Money Systems 540/1" with inspection stamps of 1981 (and I do have the OAM book for the Cashflow 540).  The odd voltages I found on the price line pins suggested to me that these are different from 'standard' four-price mechs.

I intend to contact the fellow who had them (last used twenty years ago he said) and ask if he remembers the model of vending machine that used them and perhaps if he has a wiring diagram for said machine (unlikely).

My interest is to have spares for a SnackShop 400 we own and also to apply them in some homebrew projects down the road (including perhaps replacing the internal logic with a newer MCU).

Unless you are in Europe or Canada why waste your time trying to use obsolete coin mechs when there are other old Coinco or Mars mechs yo7 could use? If you have old AP400 series machines then you have something to test each mech in. If your machines are that old then why are you not upgrading to a newer generation of machine? Those old, heavy APs bring good money at a scrap yard. If you are determined to use the APs than you should consider an update kit to put a modern micromech coin mech and perhaps a bill validator in it.

Archived